Chapter 18

GINA

The only reason I go home is because of the kids.

I can't have them asking questions, which is why I'm hoping the tension between me and their father isn't affecting them.

Like it has been for weeks, I arrive late.

I find my husband sitting on the bed while on his phone. Do I bother greeting? No.

I put my bags down then go to the bathroom where I undress then get under the shower and just allow the water to pour.

Zach: "This has been going on for long "

I see him sitting on the toilet seat, its lid closed.

I turn off the water and get out, wrapping a towel around my body.

Me: "What? "

Zach: "The lies, secrecy and the pretence. I'm tired and I'm going to ask you again, what are you hiding from me? "

Me: "Or what, you'll hit me? "

Zach: "I'll take my kids and leave "

Me: "(panics) What? You can't... You can't leave me "

Zach: "I'm tired of your lies. I can't recognise this person you've become and I won't stay here so you can change me into a monster "

Me: "(sobs) Is this about Tshidi? I don't know where she is"

Zach: "(chuckles) Tshidi? Oh I forgot, you said I slept with her under your roof right? You're pathetic "

Me: "Zach, you're hurting me "

Zach: "You're so self-absorbed, always making everything about you. Tell me what I asked and stop beating around the bush, trying to shift blame "

He follows me to the bedroom.

Zach: "(warns)Gina "

Me:" (sobs and shakes head) You'll leave me"

Zach: "I went through your phone but I want to hear it from you "

Me: "Then... Then you know but baby, I'm sorry "

Zach: "(rants) Tell me dammit! "

Me: "(nervously) It... It was a mistake, trust me it was "

Zach: "(yanks me off when I try to touch him) Say it "

I sit on the bed as I reminisce. I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place so I have no choice.

Me: "He's two years old. I... I couldn't tell you he's not yours. It was a mistake "

Zach: "(hurt) So you lied to me? I mourned a child that's not mine? How could you be so cruel? "

Me: "(sobs) I'm sorry Zach, I really am "

Zach: "Who was it? Who fucked you? "

Me: "(shaking) Please don't make me do this "