Chapter 23

AALIYAH

I'm back at this church and hoping they don't kick me out like they did years ago.

I came with the nanny who's looking after the kids.

Alyson is one year twelve months now and Russell is five months.

We're in November, a year after my husband wanted a divorce.

I only signed the papers a week ago and honestly, I don't know why I'm here.

I'm still in my car, contemplating if I should get out or drive back.

I'm wondering if this is a good choice and again, I'm scared they'll chase me out again.

Anyway, I end up getting out and going in. I'm here for the Friday night service.

I sit at the back. Like the last time, I'm feeling out of place.

I haven't prayed In forever so I don't know where to start.

The MC takes the stage and everyone else sits down.

MC: "Mamfundisi is the one who'll be sharing the word of God with us. To think I almost didn't come but God had other plans. Baena, you know how work and family keeps Mamfundisi busy but she always has time for God. Let's welcome Dr Tsaone Molise on stage "

I stand up as everyone does and clap hands.

She looks younger than what I had in mind. She grabs the mic and when she sings, It's angelic.

Something inside of me moves. It's like her singing is touching deep in my soul, healing wounds I never knew were there.

Tsaone: "I greet you all in the name of Jesus Christ, our Savior and son of the most high God. How are you this evening? It's by the grace of God that we're all here and still well. Turn to the person next to you and hold their hands. I want us to do something before I start sharing what the Holy Spirit has placed in my heart "

Now I feel attacked. Anyway, I turn to my side and this guy just takes my hands while he's looking at the stage.

OK. I follow suit.

Tsaone: "I want all of us to close our eyes and say to the person we're holding whatever the Holy Spirit places in our hearts. He knows what we're going through, He knows what we need and right now is the time for the manifestation of the Holy Spirit in our lives. I want you to start now. Just close your eyes and open your mouth and allow the Holy Spirit to lead you in prayer. If you don't know your neighbour's name, ask so you can be direct in your prayer"

Me: "(before he asks) Aaliyah "

Him: "Louis"

Me: "(eyes closed and mouth open) Heavenly Father, only You know What we need. I pray for Louis and that You touch his heart and hear his pleas. I ask that You heal Him and wipe out every tear. I ask that You Give him his heart's desires that I inline with Your desires for him. You're worthy Lord and in you we trust "

Prayer has a way of lifting weights you didn't even know were on your shoulders.

As I prayed, I felt that.