Chapter 15

FOUR YEARS LATER

SIYA

It's been four years, Four years since Jhene disappeared without a trace. 

I have no choice but to give up now. I've spent the previous four  years looking for her and watched my life pass me by. 

I guess it wasn't meant to be. 

I'm still clinging to the memories we made together. 

I remember the last time I saw her. She had called me after ignoring my calls and I came running. 

I found her drinking, tears falling from her eyes. 

She didn't say anything but just smashed her lips on mine. 

I can still feel the taste of her lips on mine. Just thinking about it breaks my heart. 

I've never had something like that and maybe I'm a fool to think it's love after making love twice. 

I mean Trinny and Kristen are still married though he proposed marriage though they weren't dating. 

Mom: "Are you ready? "

Me: "(nods) It's for the best "

I'll be working on a documentary with an old friend of mine and I also got a gig for some fancy boutique that's opening in Cape Town. 

I'll stay there after. 

Mom: "I'm going to miss you so much "

Me: "(chuckles) I'm not a kid mom. I'm 24 "

Mom: "I don't care ,you're still my baby "

Me: "Will you be OK? "

Mom: "I'll be. I'm a grown woman you know and I've accepted that you're both so grown"

Me: "I love you mom "

Mom: "(hugs me) I love you too "

Dad is the one taking me to the airport. 

Him and I have just been coexisting. I blame him for this. If he hadn't had an affair with Jhene, she'd still be here with me. That night, she told me she loves me. 

Anyway, no use crying over it now. A part of me left with her but I'm moving on. 

Dad: "Let's go"

He kisses mom then we leave. 

Dad: "You're making a good decision "

Me: "As if you care "

Dad: "You're my son, of course I care "

Me: "(chuckles) I really don't get the kind of man you are but I do know I do not wish to be you "

Dad: "Is this about Jhene? "

Me: "You cheat on mom with her and when she wants to leave you, she disappears. What do you think? "

Dad: "That happened years ago. You're really weak if you haven't moved on "

Me: "You're a fine one to talk "

Dad: "I'm over her "

Me: "Oh, but if you hadn't had her in the first place, this wouldn't have happened "

Dad: "Look, I'm sorry man. "

Me: "It doesn't matter anymore. "

The rest of the ride is silent. 

.

AALIYAH

Me: "(eyes closed) Please be positive. Please be positive. Please be positive(exhales) "