Chapter 13

13

GINA

There's a certain joy that overwhelms a woman after she's given birth, I can call it ecstasy.

It makes one forget of all the pain that came with labour and focus on the aftermath.

Zach is so excited that he has a son. He's been all chirpy and talking to him like he's his age.

We're going home now. I only spent the night in hospital so it's Saturday.

Zach: "Zachary Kwena "

Me: "Really? "

Zach: "He's my son. Thank you again baby "

Me: "It's a pleasure "

Dad and Zoë are just as excited when we arrive.

Dad is the first to take him from Zach's arms when we get inside the house.

Zoë: "He's so small mommy, he won't play with me"

Me: "Not yet but he'll grow to be as big as you are "

Zoë: "What's his name? "

Me: "Zachary "

Zoë: "Like dad? I love it. Do you think auntie will love him? "

Not this again.

Dad: "(chuckles) I think she will, though she's not a baby fan "

There's sadness in his voice and I realise he misses her.

That slaps. How can he miss her after all she did to me? It's not fair.

Anyway, I go to my room where I lie down. I wish mom was here. She'd take care of us and I'd never have to lift a finger.

I hate that she never got to meet any of my kids.

I have a monster-in-law for a grandmother so I can't count her. I believe we all need that motherly figure. I'm turning 29 and I really thought I'd have my mom until I'm at least fifty but God had other plans.

My phone rings and it's Tshidi. Can't she give me a break? I have no choice but to answer.

Tshidi: "(chirpy) Hey sis. "

Me: "What do you want? "

Tshidi: "Just checking up on you. I heard you're home, greet Ntate for me please "

Me: "(sighs) I'm really in pain, just gave birth. Dad is busy joyously bonding with his grandson "

Tshidi: "That's great. Is it Zach's? "

Me: "Of course it is, why would you even ask that? "

Tshidi: "Well, I don't know how deep your Jezebel ways go. I just wanted to officially welcome you to the hoe club! "

She hangs up and I wish I could just slap the smirk I know she has on her face.

She has too much power over me and I hate it.

I have to stop this, there must be a way.

.

JHENE

"So, it's true? "

I turn to find Kristen looking unimpressed.

I've been waiting for him.

Me: "What is? "

Kristen: "Don't act dumb. Gina called me"

Me: "So you're here to defend your lover? "