Chapter 24

JHENE

Me: "I'm sorry that I haven't been answering your calls or texts, things have been crazy "

Zuko: "So crazy that you couldn't pick up or return your boyfriend's texts? Here I am thinking that you love me. Am I wrong? "

We're in his fish and chips franchise, it's lunchtime for me. 

Me: "(holds his hand) Of course I love you. I'm sorry. Siya took DNA tests and he's the father "

Zuko: "Where does that put me? Tshidi, you were suppose to introduce me to your girls until this Siya happened. I want to know where I stand "

Me: "Nothing's changed "

Zuko: "(in disbelief) Really? "

Me: "Yes, really "

Zuko: "Tshidi, I don't believe that. I'm not a kid, I can see what's going on here "

Me: "What's going on? "

Zuko: "You've been spending time with this boy and soon, you'll leave me for him "

Me: "(chuckles) That's ridiculous, he has a girlfriend "

Zuko: "You know what, I'll see you. (stands up) What I know is, I won't wait around for you to make up your mind "

Me: "(perplexed) You're breaking up with me? "

Zuko: "What do you think? "

The rest of the day goes in a blur and soon I'm on a taxi home. 

I'm conflicted by these new feelings I have for Siya. He has a girlfriend and he's also seven years younger than me. 

I don't know why I miss him like this and why I keep reminiscing on our time in his hotel room. 

No, we didn't kiss or anything more but just talked. The way he'd look at me had me melting and suddenly I have butterflies in my stomach when I think of him. 

It should stop. I promised myself to lay off men but now I have my baby daddy and I know him. 

I've seen pictures of me that he took and those of us and somehow felt the connection we had then which, in my opinion, has intensified. 

Orateng: "Mama, when is daddy coming? "

Did I mention I just got home? Well, yes. I just did. 

Me: "He stays far away "

Olorato: "Call him mom so we can talk to him "

Ntate: "Do it or you'll never hear the end of it "

Me: "(sighs) Fine but only after I've gotten off my uniform. "

And they wait and watch me as I take off my uniform. 

I put on my gown, knowing I'll bath before bed and video call their father.