Broken Bones

"It was about a month after you left the school district. The whole entire 8th grade knew everything at this point. Considering the teasing and harassment you received, I knew you weren't going to stay. I remember you refused to come to school for an entire week. Your parents didn't make you, but they knew they couldn't keep you away any longer. So, I wasn't surprised when they offered to switch you to a different district and you took it." Nicolette sighed softly, taking a moment to collect her thoughts.

"The only downfall to that was we would be separated, which I didn't want. But, I respected that this was a way to make you feel better and safe. Thomas had no idea you switched districts until after the holiday break. At that point, he had solidified his spot as the top student-athlete in our grade, was accepted by everyone and uncontested by many. However, no one knew his little secret. Well... that is, until I heard it."

"How exactly did you hear it?" Alan asked, fully engaged. The only thing he was missing was a bag of chips, or a bowl of popcorn.

"It was by complete accident, because no one would've known otherwise."

-

Walking from the yearbook office between lunch and 6th period, Nicolette was making her way down the hall near the gymnasium. Everyone else was at lunch, but she had permission from the photography teacher to stay later to make up an editing process. The office was on the other side of the school, having to pass the gym and band rooms to reach the cafeteria. She was walking past the gym when she heard some voices, one of them very familiar. While it was a voice she hadn't heard in weeks, she recognized it immediately.

"How... did you hear about this?" Thomas asked, his voice sounding puzzled.

"People talk, man. I also have a lot of friends who help out in the administrative office. They saw his letter of transfer from his parents. He transferred right before the break." Jonathan spoke casually.

Nicolette, quite sure of who was speaking, walked over as quietly as possible, crouching around a corner and peeking around to see the two students talking at the top of a staircase.

"Alan... transferred out?" Thomas asked, shocked.

Why... are they talking about Alan? Nicolette thought to herself as she hid behind the wall near the staircase.

"Yep. Seems like the little fag couldn't take the pressure." Jonathan said with a laugh. "Good. Now he won't be an influence on you."

"Influence... what do you mean?" Thomas questioned.

"I knew he was off from the moment I met him." Jonathan stated with a tone of disgust. "The way he would talk with you, touch you... it wasn't fucking normal for a guy."

There was a moment of silence, before a laugh was heard.

"You believed that?" Thomas asked through small laughs.

"What... do you mean? The hell are you saying?" Jonathan asked, confused.

"You honestly thought that what I said in the locker room was true?" Thomas stated, his laughter having dissipated.

"The fuck are you taking about, Thomas? I heard you outright deny that you weren't gay at all." Jonathan replied.

"That is... true, yes. I did say that." Thomas stated, a slight pause given.

"Then what the hell are you talking about?" Jonathan questioned, a bit of annoyance in his voice.

"Moreso... the fact that you actually believed what I said in the first place." Thomas stated, firmly.