I Don't Know

After staying overnight in the hospital to be monitored further, Alan was discharged the following afternoon. His father came to help him leave, signing release forms before they exited the hospital entirely. Once in the car, Alan sighed deeply, resting back into the seat comfortably.

"I'm wondering if we should take you to another hospital for a second opinion. I find it strange that they weren't able to find anything on your CT scans." his father stated, worried.

"I have a follow-up in a week, right? Maybe we should wait until then." Alan suggested, trying to reassure him.

That, and I think it might be pretty hard to explain how I almost got killed by an ancient witch who is pissed that I have a huge crush on the man she's been obsessed with for centuries.

"Alright... as long as you're fine with it." his father spoke, reluctant to agree.

"I think I'm good. I feel fine... I had a solid excuse to not to go to school today and it's now Friday night; officially the weekend." Alan replied happily, hearing his father chuckle.

"Make sure to let your friends know you're heading home. Nikki will be pretty annoyed if you don't let her know." his father teased, glancing over to see his son nod in agreement. "By the way... who was the guy that actually found you?"

At hearing any reference to Daniel, Alan averted his gaze to the window, trying to hide the embarrassment crawling onto his face. "That was... Daniel Lang... he's a year ahead of me... and a... friend."

There was a small moment of silence, before his father smirked playfully while he drove. "That's the boy... isn't it?"

Alan kept silent, but his face said otherwise, as it turned bright red.

"He's actually nice looking. I can see why you like him-"

"DAD..." Alan forced out, hiding his face in his hands.

"Does he know... that you like him?" his father asked, sincerely curious.

"He does now..." Alan spoke softly, sinking into his seat. "I... told him yesterday."

"What did he say?"

"Well... he didn't give me much of an answer. He said we could... talk later, after I got better." Alan replied, fidgeting with his hands. "But... I don't know what that means."

His father could see the unsettled feelings his son was experiencing as he pulled into the driveway of their home, parking the car calmly.

"I think... if he's willing to wait to talk to you until you're better and well, it shows that he really cares about you. As for if he may like you back, that's something you'll have to ask him yourself. Be ready to hear what he has to say, whether it may hurt you or not." his father proclaimed, reaching over to gently pat his son's head as he did so.

"This... is hard, dad. You know what happened... the last time I confessed to liking someone..." Alan stated, looking over towards his father in a helpless fashion.

"I know... but I get the impression that Daniel isn't anywhere close to what Thomas was like." his father replied.

"Not AT ALL." Alan answered firmly, seeing his father smile.

"Then, that's a positive sign that it will go along just fine." his father reassured him.

Alan gave a warm smile in return, his nerves having calmed slightly. "Thanks, dad."

"Anytime, Allie. Let's head inside. Your mom made your favorite cake this morning, and Kris already threatened to eat it if I didn't get you back by now."

"I'll break her fingers if she touches my fucking cake." Alan spoke angrily, opening the car door.

"Language, Alan." his father stated firmly, before smirking.

"Sorry, dad." Alan replied, a grin of his own coming to his lips.

-

After having shared half a cake with his family, along with the dinner of his choice (chicken parmesan being his favorite), he soon retreated to his bedroom, collapsing onto his bed happily once he entered and closed the door behind him.

"I missed my bed so much..." Alan muttered into his pillow, rubbing his face into it as he did so. He rolled over to lay on his back, gazing around his room fondly. "Maybe I'll play a game tonight, since it's Friday. I can always do my homework Sunday..."

Getting to his feet, Alan walked over and sat in his computer chair, waking up his desktop to log into Steam. His phone soon vibrated in his pocket, catching his attention as he used one hand to type in his password.

My sister from another mother: So, since you're free from your medical prison, what are you up to? Any idea what you're wearing to homecoming tomorrow night?

Alan: I totally forgot about that... shit...

My sister from another mother: You need help with your outfit? Or, will Daniel Lang curate your outfit himself? 😏

Alan: Um... good question... what about you, anyway? You and Manny going to match?

Using that as a means to distract Nicolette from the topic at hand, it dawned on Alan that he had not heard from Daniel since he saw him at the hospital. He wondered if he should reach out to him, or if it was best to just leave him alone.

Well... he has no idea I'm out of the hospital. I haven't told him... that would be a good enough reason to reach out...

He slowly rotated in his chair as he debated his choices, holding his phone as he did so.

I mean... it's harmless, right? And he told me we could talk after I got better...

He stopped his movement in his chair, staring back down at his phone in silence.

I... want to talk to him. I... really do...

With a shaky sigh, Alan switched over from his messaging app to the dial screen, finding Daniel's number and pressing the call button. It began to ring right after.

If he doesn't answer... then I'll just take that as a sign-

The ringing stopped, as there was a moment of silence.

"H-Hello?" Alan stated, hesitantly.

Silence was all he got.

Did... I get his voicemail?

"Well, darn... I guess I didn't kill you after all." Mika stated calmly on the other end of the receiver.