he did it for her.

later that day, lunch time

-

"joyce! over here!" hopper called out. joyce ran excitedly to the table where hopper was sitting, and sat down. "hi." he said smiling. "hi." there was a spark between them. a connection when they smiled at each other. they both felt it.

after a few seconds, hopper broke the silence. "i'm really glad that you sat with me." joyce crinkled her nose and giggled. "so, um, tell me some things about you." "about...me?" joyce said awkwardly. "yeah, what are some things you like and stuff?" he said. joyce had never been asked that question before. well, she hardly go asked anything for that matter.

 "well, uh, i like drawing." "me too!" hopper exclaimed. "i also really like reading." joyce said smiling. she never felt like this before. "i really like reading too! my favorite book is-" "curious george." they both said at the same time. they both looked up at each other. was it fate? what was the connection between them? they didn't know. but it was definitely something. then they both burst out laughing. this got the attention of the popular kids table; alexis, chrissy, ashley, lauren, tyler, lonnie, and john. they looked over and stared at them rudely. but joyce and hopper didn't care. they continued to laugh. they felt good around each other. happy. even though they only had just met, they felt like they could tell each other anything.

"that's so crazy how we both love the same book!" said joyce laughing. she crinkled her nose when she laughed again. hopper liked it. he thought it was really cute. "do you like pippi longstocking too?" joyce asked. "that's a girl book joyce!" "no it's not! it's a great book!" they both laughed. "what's your favorite dessert?" he asked. "are you kidding? ice cream! only the best dessert in the world!" "thats my favorite too! chocolate or vanilla?" "oh definitely chocolate." she answered. his eyes widened. "same! i can't believe we are so similar! you're a really great friend joyce. i'm glad that i met you." "i'm glad that i met you too. really glad."

"awwww, look at joyce and jim! the two love birds!" said a voice behind them. they both turned around to see alexis lopez and the rest of the popular group, laughing at them. "how does it feel to finally have a friend joyce? after all this time!" alexis said laughing. joyce looked down, highly embarrassed. alexis always picked on her. since preschool. and joyce never did anything about it. she never told her to stop. alexis made joyce just feel stupid. she hated her. "leave us alone." hopper said powerfully. joyce couldn't believe how brave he was. never in a million years could she stick up to alexis lopez. she was the most popular kid in the whole school, despite only being in third grade like joyce and hopper. and he just did. this made her like him even more. 

"oh really? what do you think your gonna do about it?" alexis snapped. "he-he said...leave us...alone." joyce couldn't believe the words that came out of her mouth. did she really just say that? "are you standing up to me? you'll never stand up to me, your just too weak joyce! why would anyone want to be friends with you! you're just so stupid! i'm surprised you even have a friend! he probably won't be your friend long though, until he finds out how lame you are!" the anger was rising up in hopper. "i said leave her alone!" hopper yelled as he punched alexis. everything felt like a blur after that. but as alexis fell down on the floor, joyce felt something that she never felt before.

it was love.

she loved hopper. she never thought that she would love anyone, she thought loving someone was gross. until hopper came into her life.

hopper got sent to the principal's office, and got suspended for 2 days for hitting alexis. but he didn't care. he did it for joyce. that was all that mattered. he did it for her.

a/n sorry these two chapters are so short, i'll work on making them longer! :)