and now he'll never know.

july 1985

-
everything could be gone in an instant. neither of them knew what would happen next. suddenly, they both locked eyes. hopper slowly gave a silent nod, and joyce closed her eyes tightly and flipped the key. the second she flipped the key, he was gone.

joyce ran down to where she thought hopper was standing to celebrate that they made it out alive. until she stopped dead in her tracks, and saw nothing there.

everything stopped. she felt like she stopped breathing. she felt like the world had stopped turning. everything that she had ever loved and everything that she had ever hoped for and just everything in the entire world was gone.

"what do you say, friday, 8:00?"

she didn't know what to do, she didn't know what to say, she didn't know how to feel. she just stood there, and let her emotions take over her.

"uh, el likes to watch miami vice on fridays. it starts at 10 so i can't be out late on fridays."

how was she supposed to react? the man that she's loved all of her life was no longer with her. and she'll never see him again.

"okay, well, how about 7 then?"

she's been through so many things in the past few years, and he's gotten her through each one. and now she doesn't have him anymore. now she doesn't have her rock. now she doesn't have a shoulder to cry on.

"7:00? enzo's, friday, i meet you there?"

he was the most amazing person that she's ever met in her life, that's for sure. she couldn't believe that he was gone. her brain couldn't comprehend it. she didn't want to believe it.

"nah, you pick me up."

there's so many things that she wanted to tell him. but most importantly, she wanted to tell him that she loved him. she's loved him for so long. he was the love of her life. she wanted to spend the rest of her life with him. she wanted to wake up every morning next to him. she wanted to marry him. she wanted to have children with him. she wanted them to be a big happy family. she want to grow old with him. she wanted to do everything with him.

"picking you up, 7 pm, enzo's friday?"

and now he'll never know.

"yeah, it's a date."

suddenly, she heard a voice from behind her. it was murray. "where's jim?" he asked. she didn't know how to answer. she didn't want to answer. so she said nothing.

joyce walked out of star court mall and searched around everywhere for will. she finally found him sitting on the back of an ambulance. their eyes met and will immediately rose up from where he was sitting and ran to hug his mom.

eleven got up too, hoping that hopper would be following joyce. she looked around and around for where he might be. she found nothing. el looked at joyce straight in the eyes, and joyce looked back at her. all they had to do was make eye contact. 

and then el knew.