the wedding part 1

august 19, 1986, seven months later, joyce and hopper's wedding

-

today was it. the day they would become a family.

everyone was coming from hawkins to attend the long-awaited wedding. hop and joyce decided to have the reception outside in a park garden type thing, and then have the after-party at a large dining hall.

the room where joyce was getting ready-

"so...how do i look?" joyce asked el, nancy, max, and karen as she came out of the bathroom. they were her bridesmaids. her was hair done beautifully and her wedding dress was on. el's mouth dropped. "pretty. really pretty. you look amazing." el said with the brightest smile. joyce smiled back.

"i agree completely." nancy said. "me too." said max. "joyce, you look absolutely gorgeous!" karen shouted. joyce smiled, but then the smile started to fade away. she sat on her bed and sighed. "i'm just...so nervous." she said, her hands shaking. "you know, last time i did this...let's just say things didn't end...well." el grabbed her hands and looked at her.

 "hey. this is hopper, not lonnie. and you got this, okay?" joyce nodded and smiled at el. "thanks honey." she whispered, hugging her. will came into the room with his black tuxedo on and his tie in his hand. "hey mom, can you help me with my tie?" he asked. "yeah of course baby, come over here." she said, gesturing him to sit next to her. "you look so handsome." said joyce. will smiled at her.

"wait a minute, why isn't hopper helping you with this tie?" joyce said, struggling to tie it. "oh...uh...i don't know..." will said with a smirk. joyce rolled her eyes and laughed. "he sent you to spy on me, didn't he?" "maybe..." said will. "of course he did." karen said with a laugh. "you silly goose, you go ask him to tie it!" joyce said to will. "fine." will said, running off.

"why would he send will to spy on you?" max asked. joyce shrugged. "he probably just wanted to know what was going on, i guess."

then suddenly, karen realized something.

"um, joyce, can i speak to you a minute, uh...alone?" she asked. nancy, max, and el exited the room when karen fanned them away. "joyce, it just occurred to me...did you ever tell hop about the...the baby?"

joyce's heart dropped. how did she know?

"what?" she asked. "in high school?" karen asked. "oh..." said joyce. "what else did you think i would be talking about?" "uh...i don't know..."

karen looked at her weirdly. "is something going on?" she asked. "what? no." "okay...anyway, did you ever tell him?" she asked again.

joyce didn't say anything.

"joyce!" "karen, i couldn't, i don't know why, i just couldn't do it." "what do you mean you couldn't do it, he has a right to know!" "i know karen, i know, okay?! i will tell him tonight, okay?! does that make you happy?!" shouted joyce. "god joyce, are you sure you're okay?" karen asked. "i'm fine..." she muttered. "i'm just stressed...can you grab me a glass of wine?" asked joyce. "here, just have mine." karen said, handing it to her. joyce realized something. "actually...i-i dont want it, you can have it back." she said, handing it back to her. "oh...okay." karen said, giving her a confused look.

the room where hopper was getting ready-

hopper paced back and forth around the room reading off of a piece of paper. jonathon, callahan, powell, and will looked at him weirdly. "you okay there chief?" powell said to him. "what?" asked hopper. "oh...oh yeah." he obviously wasn't okay. he was sweating like crazy. "what are you doing exactly?" callahan wondered. "just uh...practicing..." replied hopper. callahan stood up and took the paper from him. he cleared his throat and mocked hopper while he read what was on the paper. "joyce byers. from the very first second i saw you in third grade, with your beautiful brown hair and your-" "alright, that's enough!" hopper shouted, snatching it from him. callahan and powell laughed like crazy, and hopper left the room to practice outside instead.

he went and sat on a bench in the park where the reception was. he stared down at the paper and sighed. all of a sudden, he heard a voice standing in front of him. "hey jim." he looked up quickly to see flo, his secretary from when he was the chief of police in hawkins. "oh uh...hey flo." he said. "how's it going?" she asked. "good...just uh...pondering my thoughts, i guess." "you're nervous, aren't you?" hopper nodded softly. "whats that?" she asked, indicating the paper. "oh...nothing..." flo held her hand out. hopper rolled his eyes and gave the paper to her. flo read over what he had written carefully.

"you really love this girl, don't you?""yeah. a lot."

"then why are you nervous?" she joked. "i've known you since you were a little boy, ever since you first moved to hawkins. you were eight years old. i used to see you walk around hawkins square with a bunch of your other crazy friends, playing pranks left and right, and stealing from the candy store. and i've known joyce for her whole life too. almost every time i saw her, you were with her. she loves you, jim. so why are you so scared? go marry her, settle down, start a family. you got this."

hopper looked up at the woman.

"thanks, flo. really." he said smiling.

"anytime, jim."

1 hour later-

"hey mom, i think the reception is about to start." el said to joyce. "yup, in about two minutes!" she said. karen and nancy were helping her make sure everything looked perfect. suddenly, they heard a knock at the door. "miss byers, we're ready for you now." said one of the wedding planners. joyce was breathing really heavily and her hands were shaky. "o-okay." she said, taking a deep breath. she exited the room and stepped outside. she saw everyone turn around and look at her. there were so many familiar faces; the sinclairs, the wheelers, the hendersons, robin and steve, callahan and powell, flo, donald melvald, becky ives, some of her co-workers and other people from hawkins. she began to feel a lot better. she took a deep breath and slowly started walking down the aisle.

a/n: hope you guys liked the first wedding chapter!! i think there is either going to be two or three wedding chapters in total but idk yet. anyway, hop you enjoyed and please don't forget to vote! also thank you all so much for 2,000 reads! that's so crazy and i love all of you so much 💗