one - "interns" - one

05/27/22: 1 MILLION READS???? WTF THANK YOU SO MUCH❤

[a/n: This story has been in my drafts for 3 years. I have decided to publish it. Hope I do all the fans of GA justice! Thanks for reading! P.S. The chapter titles will be words/phrases relating to Grey's, but not necessarily those specific chapters.]

"Each of you comes here today hopeful, wanting in on the game. A month ago, you were in med school being taught by doctors. Today you are the doctors. The seven years you spend here as a surgical resident will be the best and worst of your life. You will be pushed to the breaking point. Look around you. Say hello to your competition. Eight of you will switch to an easier specialty. Five will crack under the pressure. Two of you will be asked to leave. This is your starting line. This is your arena. How well you play, that's up to you."

Today was the day. Anna knew it was as she stayed around the waiting room and nurses stations. She watched the residents roam around like vultures just waiting for a glimpse of the new surgical interns. A stack of pocket sized medical drug books, medical terminology books, pagers, and badges laid on top of the counter when Dr. Miranda Bailey walked up. Anna stayed in her seat and watched her read over a patient's chart, signing away.

Out of nowhere, a blonde appeared, "Hi, I'm Isobel Stevens, but everyone calls me Izzie."

Anna could've laughed at Dr. Bailey's face as she completely ignored the intern and the rest of them standing timidly behind her.

"I have five rules. Memorize them. Rule number one: Don't bother sucking up. I hate you. That's not gonna change. Trauma protocol, phone list, pagers, nurses will page you. You will answer every page at a run. A run!"

Anna couldn't help but eavesdrop as she heard Dr. Bailey's loud, exhausted, and terrifying voice from the hall as she jogged, "That's rule number two. Your first shift starts now and lasts 48 hours. You're interns, grunts, nobodies, bottom of the surgical food chain. You run labs, write orders, work every second every night until you drop, and don't complain."

Just as Anna took a seat, she heard a familiar voice beside her, "Aren't you supposed to be doing your homework?"

"Aren't you supposed to be working?"

Derek smiled and shook his head at his sarcastic and witty daughter. He looked through his patient's chart, noting a few things, before returning it to the nurses station.

"Have you seen the board?" He asked Anna as she looked down at her textbooks in boredom.

"Yup." Anna replied, digging through her backpack.

"Then you know I've got surgeries all morning. Maybe I should call-"

"Dad, I'm fine." Anna held up her packet of homework, "See? I'll just sit here and do homework."

"All right. If you wanna stay, you can stay. Please, don't cause any trouble." He kissed her forehead as his pager went off and then he was off towards the elevators yet again.

Anna sighed, flipping through her papers. She was homeschooled. She's been homeschooled since she was 10. She only meets with her teacher, at school, once a week. Finishing all her work for the week wasn't difficult. It just left her with nothing to do while her father was busy. She liked being at the hospital, watching her dad work, learning new things. It just seemed that lately, he's been hiding more and more things from her. His split from her stepmother Addison, the only mother she's ever known, broke his heart. She worried about him. She thought the whole "let's live in a trailer on an empty lot" was a joke. Until they actually started living in a trailer on an empty lot.