The Witch's Promise S1 E1

Breeze whistling through the cracks of the window to my left, I kept my gaze focused on the reflection in front of me. The darkness under my eyes from lack of sleep was barely noticeable to anyone who didn't know it was there but I knew. I knew and I could see it clearer than the blue sky outside my window. Presentation was everything to my father and there were no excuses that would save your soul from his displeasure.

I tore my gaze away from my eyes and instead focused on the baby blue dress that was tight around my chest before it pooled around me on the floor. But no matter how much I played with a loose stitch on the sleeve I couldn't distract myself from the noise down below in the main citadel.

Despite the glorious day the events that were about to occur were far from reflecting that. Today we were to witness 'justice' by watching a sorcerer being executed. Magic was outlawed in Camelot and had been for many many years now and most people were smart enough to avoid using anything that could be considered sorcery or at least practice it when no one was nearby to see. But then there were the unfortunate few that were caught or unlawfully presumed to have conspired with sorcery. Todays victim was one of the former.

It was inhumane; to kill another being just because of who they were and what they practiced. Of course my father disagreed with that sentiment as he took great pride in these executions.

"Is it over?" I asked my maid, Bailee who was looking out the window.

"No, not yet, my lady," she replied, looking away from the window and over to me. "It hasn't even started yet."

"Any ideas on how I can get out of attending this?" I requested with a small smile, turning from the mirror to look over at Bailee.

"You could jump from the window and run, blend in with the crowd." I smiled a bit at her idea. I was really going to miss her. A week ago a letter had arrived telling her that her mother had fallen grievously sick. She had intended to stay and go later on but knowing just how sickness can take a sudden turn, I had dismissed her. She'd be leaving in the next few days. Would I ever see her again? I honestly didn't know. "Your father has requested your presence, though," she said, trying to persuade me.

"Of course he has," I muttered, running a hand through my hair. "Right, let's get this over and done with."

Offering a small smile, Bailee bowed me out of the room and left me to go and attend the execution. I made my way down to the grand doors where my brother was already waiting. He was facing the doors, his blonde hair flattened down and his right hand placed on his sword.

Quietly creeping up behind him, I placed my hands over his eyes. "Guess who," I said, making him jump.

"Gaius?" Arthur commented sarcastically, causing me to playfully slap him as I walked round to his side. Though we may be royalty, at every opportunity we can find, we still annoy the hell out of each other. Something that our father had tried to stamp out of us our entire lives but I felt that over time it was only getting worse.

Arthur held up his arm for me to take and with slight hesitation, I placed my arm on top of his.

Just then the doors opened and all eyes were on us. With a deep breath and a reassuring smile from Arthur, we stepped out onto the balcony where our father awaited our arrival. We took our designated seats beside him.

Sinisterly, the bang of the execution drums echoed, signalling that it was time for the prisoner to be brought out. And he was.

A man who looked as though he were in his late thirties/early forties was dragged out by two men in uniform. No matter the brutality that he was being dragged with, he didn't fight back. He already knew his fate. That only made this more difficult to witness. That feeling of hopelessness must be entirely consuming.

He was brought upon the stage in the centre of the citadel and held in the middle of it for all wandering eyes to see. This was the first step when my father ordered a public execution, humiliation. My father rose up from his seat and peered down at the growing crowd.

"Let this serve as a lesson to all. This man... Thomas James Collins..." My father spat his name in disgust as though he were nothing more than dirt on the bottom of his shoe. The man was now turned to face my father "... Is found guilty of conspiring to use enchantments and magic ..." At the 'm' word, many of the congregation gasped shocked "... and according to the laws of Camelot, I, Uther Pendragon, have decreed that such practises are banned on penalty of death." I've always hated these duties as royalty. So much so that I have often fought my father against it. Of course that never worked out as well as I'd hoped as I was now forced to sit front seat at every single execution, whether they be magic or not. "I pride myself as a fair and just king, but for the crimes of sorcery, there is but one sentence that I can pass."

Everyone turned now to watch the man. I tensed up not wanting to watch this poor man die. I lowered my eyes to the ground in front of me and, noticing this, Arthur subtly reached over and placed his hand over mine reassuringly as my father stared at me in disappointment. The man was pushed down onto his knees as they pressed his head onto the trunk of wood roughly. As the executioner began to circle the man, the guards left the stage.

He stopped. Raising the axe so high that the sun reflected off of it making it seem to glimmer in excitement. The drums began again thumping more frequently and louder. My father raised his left arm in the air ready to dispose of the man.

He held it there for a few seconds before dropping it just as the axe dropped. I squeezed my eyes shut in horror as I heard the disgusting sound of metal slicing through flesh. I wasn't the only one though. Much of the audience turned away as the man's innocent blood sprayed over them.

"When I came to this land, this kingdom was mired in chaos, but with the people's help, magic was driven from the realm. So I declare a festival to celebrate 20 years since the great dragon was captured, and Camelot freed from the evil of sorcery." He raised his arms in the air as if to exaggerate his power, his greatness, his success. "Let the celebrations begin!" He announced and was about to turn away when we all heard a loud moaning noise from the audience.

He turned back to them all in confusion. Arthur and I glanced at each other as we both rose from our seats to see what was happening clearer. An old, wrinkled woman stood in the centre of everyone, distraught.

"There is only one evil in this land and it is not magic! It is you!" The woman yelled at our father. I looked over at him and his face was contorted into an expression of anger which was underlapped by arrogance. He took a step forward to signify his power over her; his usual reaction would have been enough to spite this woman but she didn't back down. "With your hatred and your arrogance, you took my son." Her voice broke as she spoke and I could practically feel her tears racking through me as they began to spill over the woman's cheeks, her wails causing shivers to flow straight through us all.

I couldn't help but feel sorry for the woman, she was clearly devastated and looked as though one wrong word could kill her. She'd lost her son all because of my father's fear of magic. He'd never admit it but I could see it in his eyes. He wasn't trying to save the kingdom; he was only afraid of magic and the power it would have over him.

In the space of a few seconds the air around us shifted into one of pure rage and thrust for revenge. "I promise you, before these celebrations are over, you will share my tears. An eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth." Oh my Gods, please don't say what I think you're going to say. "A son for a son. And as you chose to give him no trial to prove his innocence, no dignity, and no mercy, I shall take one more from you. How about your daughter?" I looked over at Arthur who looked petrified of this woman. My father too had a glimpse of fear in his eyes before he disguised it as order and discipline. The people all turned to see my reaction but I tried to hide it with a blank expression. The woman began to laugh like a lunatic, "Imagine that, no heir to carry on the royal name. You messed with the supernatural, Uther, now you shall pay the price."

"Seize her!" He ordered.

She started to screech an awful sound before disappearing dramatically into the air leaving only an explosion of black smoke behind her. Everyone stepped back in shock and fear for we had all just witnessed the thing that even the king was afraid of.

Witchcraft.

1638 Words