Kilgharrah S1 E9

💚 16/01/2021 💚

Holding onto Merlin's hand tightly in excitement, he led me down to the dungeons. I had heard rumours of what inhabited this part of the dungeons but I had always been forbidden from coming down here. That doesn't mean I never tried though.

I remember one time Arthur and I (around eight at the time) decided to try and get down into the dungeons so we caused a small disruption in the market square so the guards that used to guard the entrance ran over to help sort it out.

Arthur and I had then ran down the stairs but before we got very far, having suspected it was us, father had gotten to us first and stopped us, forbidding us from ever going down here again.

Nowadays, seeing as no one had tried getting down here in years, the guards had been removed and stationed elsewhere meaning Merlin and I had got through easy enough.

"I must warn you, he is a little different to what you are probably expecting," Merlin admitted, as we walked down towards the dungeons.

"How do you know what I'm expecting?" I challenged.

"Because... you'll see what I mean," Merlin replied, as we reached a gate.

We walked through it and stood on the edge of a piece of rock. I looked down and saw a massive drop.

"Is this the part where you murder me?" I muttered to Merlin, a small smile on my face.

"Chelsea..." Merlin said, turning to me.

"Yeah?" I replied.

"Please stay away from the edge, we don't need another incident like the window," Merlin told me, causing me to smirk. "Promise?" He asked.

"Promise," I replied.

Just then, I heard the loud flapping of what sounded like wings. I turned to my right and was shocked to see a huge dragon perching itself on a rock.

"Oh my God," I muttered.

"Merlin," The dragon said. Oh, my God it talks! "And you must be the Princess," The dragon said to me.

I didn't say anything for a moment, my mouth currently hanging open slightly at the shock of seeing this. Sensing this, Merlin gave my hand a squeeze of encouragement, making me clear my throat awkwardly.

"That's me. What's your name?" I finally asked, trying to come up with a conversation with a freaking dragon!

"My name is Kilgharrah, but you would probably know me as the Great Dragon," He replied.

"You're the Great Dragon?" I asked.

"Indeed I am," He told me.

"Do you know why we're here?" Merlin asked, interrupting the silence that had filled the space.

"It may surprise you, Merlin, but my knowledge of your life is not universal," Kilgharrah said.

"It's to do with Arthur. His life's in danger. He will die unless I can make a weapon that will kill the dead," Merlin said, bending down to pick up the package, which was then revealed to be a sword.

"So what do you come to ask of me?" Kilgharrah asked.

The sword then began floating towards Kilgharrah, slowing down as it got closer before coming to a stop in front of him.

"Are you doing that?" I whispered to Merlin.

"Nope. That's just the power of the Dragon," Merlin joked.

"Idiot," I muttered.

"Will you burnish it to save Arthur?" Merlin asked the Great Dragon.

"The dead do not return without reason. Who has he come for?" Kilgharrah asked.

"My father, Uther Pendragon," I informed him.

"Then let him take his vengeance and the wraith will die without my aid," Kilgharrah said.

"But it's Arthur who's going to fight him. You have to save him," I exclaimed.

"I'm sorry, Princess, but that is Merlin's destiny, not mine," Kilgharrah apologised.

"But if Arthur fights the wraith and dies, Camelot will have lost an heir. I will have no destiny," Merlin told him.

"Camelot will not suffer too much, they still have the Princess," Kilgharrah said.

"I am nowhere near ready to take on that responsibility, not yet anyway," I said.

Kilgharrah looked at us for a moment.

"A weapon forged with my assistance will have great power," Kilgharrah told us.

"I know," Merlin said.

"We're counting on it," I added.

"You do not know. You can only guess. You have not seen what I have seen. If you had, perhaps you would not ask this of me," The Great Dragon remarked.

"What do you mean?" Merlin asked.

"In the wrong hands this sword could do great evil. It must be wielded by Arthur and him alone," Kilgharrah warned us.

"I understand," Merlin replied.

"You must do more than understand. You must promise," Kilgharrah said.

"I promise," Merlin answered.

Kilgharrah roared slightly and prepared to burnish the sword. Merlin pushed us back from the edge and shifted me so I was behind him.

Kilgharrah then blew fire onto the sword for a few seconds before returning to his position.

"Wicked," I muttered. I looked over at the sword and could see it glimmering a golden light.

Merlin stepped forwards as the sword came back towards us.

"Heed my words. The sword was forged for Arthur and him alone," Kilgharrah repeated.

After that, Merlin and I left the dungeons hand in hand.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, I got up and went over to my dresser. Honestly, I can't remember the last time I was this nervous.

After a few minutes of laying in bed and thinking about all the possible outcomes of today, I got up and got ready.

Anxiety pulsing through myveins, I made my way down to the arena and to my seat

Anxiety pulsing through myveins, I made my way down to the arena and to my seat. Lady Morgana and Gwenwere already in their seats when I arrived.

Father wasn't sitting in his seat yet so I sat in my seat in silence. If I spoke to anyone, I was afraid I might be sick. What the hell was going to happen today?

I tapped my foot against the ground and looked round at the other villagers. Literally everyone in the town was here and we all shared the same expression, fear.

Arthur couldn't win this. Yes, he is good at fighting but so were Sir Pellinor and Sir Owain and look what happened to them. I need to stop the fight, but how?

I was about to get up when I saw someone walking out in the Camelot armour. Except that wasn't Arthur. I squinted my eyes slightly and saw that the person walking out was someone I didn't think would have the courage to do what's right.

My Father.

1088 Words