Chapter 7

Chapter 7

"Arwen?" Théa breathed, sitting up and throwing her arms around the beautiful elleth, hugging her friend tightly to her.

"Théadain." The graceful brunette smiled as they embraced, holding the younger woman tightly to her body as she felt the need for comfort radiating from her. They had met during Théa's previous visit and had grown close, despite their difference in age. Neither had ever had a sister to confide in, and they had walked together through the woods for days on end, talking of anything and everything, their hopes and dreams, as well as their conflicts.

"What are you doing here? When I left you spoke of sailing to the Undying Lands to be with your mother?" Théadain breathed as she drew back, admiring the porcelain features of the elven maiden that had not changed even a little in their time apart.

"And I still do mean to." She smiled tenderly, brushing Théa's unruly hair back from her eyes, "But you must remember, the years in my lifetime are not equal to yours... You look well my friend, time has only caused you to grow more beautiful."

Théa released a disbelieving snort at her words, smiling fondly as she sat up, linking her arm through Arwen's delicate one, clothed in a soft, light fabric, "And time has not changed your beauty at all, frustratingly." They laughed softly together in the dark courtyard, until Arwen's eyes fell on the pile of books that lay on the bench.

"My father told me of your reasons for coming here, I am sorry Théadain, your father is a good man."

"Was." Théa corrected with a sad sigh, "He is not the man he once was, and I fear he will have grown worse still, in the time I have been away."

"My father will find a solution." Arwen soothed, squeezing her arm gently as her companion pursed her lips.

"He may not, Arwen. He did not tell me of his reasons for calling a council, but I can see he is preoccupied with it. He may not have the time to seek a cure for one dying man when there are greater issues at hand." She whispered, knowing she may indeed have to face that reality. She shook her head and looked up to the sky above them to clear the tears that threatened to surface, "Let us talk of something else, I have spoken of nothing but dreadful things all day."

"Then tell me of your company, your adventures." Arwen murmured, "Word reached me some time ago of the fierce Third Marshal of Rohan- the beautiful Lady Théadain, who is loved by all her men but will not let her own heart be conquered."

"You are teasing me!" Théa laughed accusingly, her composure recovered as she playfully swatted at her friend, "Those stories are nonsense, fantasies dreamt up to make me seem like some heroic, tragic figure."

"So, you have allowed your heart to be conquered?" Arwen's probing smile caused Théa to roll her eyes theatrically.

"Only by my horse." She joked playfully, "No Arwen, I am not a child anymore, I do not dream of romance and love and marriage. I am wed to my company and Rohan, and that is all it shall be."