Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Hurrying to Arwen's side, Théadain smiled as she slipped her arm through her friend's one companionably, "I am glad you came, I was worried I would not see you before I left."

"I could not allow you to go in that way." The elf-maiden smiled warmly, leading them slowly to Théa's room, "And I could not let you go without a parting gift."

"Oh Arwen..." She scolded gently, tightening her hold on her friend's arm as they passed into the room, gasping at the beautiful coat laid out on her bed.

"Go, try it." Arwen laughed as she gently pushed the young woman forward to admire the garment. Théadain smiled in delight as she ran her fingers over the soft, supple doeskin suede, dyed a beautiful deep grey. The coat was deceptively thick, and lined for warmth in the winter months.

"Arwen it is beautiful, thank you." She breathed, turning to embrace her friend. The pair held each other tightly, neither willing to let go of the other, "You will not be here if I ever return, will you?" Théadain whispered after a long moment, drawing back a little.

"No, my friend." Arwen whispered regretfully, tears shining in her beautiful eyes, "It will not be long before I sail for the Undying Lands."

Théa nodded, biting her lip, "I understand, I just... I will miss you so terribly. It has been wonderful spending time with you again."

"You have your entire life ahead of you, Théadain, do not be sad when you have so much to look forward to."

"Do I?" She laughed sadly, "Part of me worries that this quest is a fool's errand, or even if we succeed, if the ten of us make it into the depths of Mordor without being killed, will we even make it back alive?"

"You will." She whispered with surety, cupping her friend's freckled cheek, "You must believe the quest will succeed, Théadain, you are strong enough to endure this darkness."

"I fear I am not." She admitted, slumping back to sit on her bed, "I am no great leader of men, I do not have Boromir's ambition, nor Aragorn's quiet strength – I say the wrong things, I am too headstrong and passionate... My world was small, and now I am part of something so much greater than I ever imagined."

"That is why you stand together." She soothed, sinking to sit by her side and taking her hand, "Perhaps the Fellowship needs someone passionate and headstrong."

Théadain laughed doubtfully and shook her head, "Sometimes I wonder if they think I am a fool, or a fraud."

"They admire you." Arwen insisted, pausing as she considered whether she should elaborate further. She had witnessed several times the way Aragorn watched her friend, the way his eyes followed her when she walked. At first she had told herself it was merely curiosity, but she had come to recognise that he was fond of the redheaded girl, if not more.