Chapter 14

Chapter 14

"Here Gandalf, let me show you."

Days later, Théadain leaned over the wizard's shoulder where he sat at the large table in the brightly lit room, gazing down at a detailed map. Across the table, Aragorn sat smoking a long pipe, the sweet smell of smouldering leaf filling the air. She gently set her finger to the map, at the most Southern point of the Misty Mountains. "It will be the safest path, the Gap of Rohan rarely becomes impassable with snow, even in deep winter." She murmured, "Even if- as you estimate- we take a full hundred days to walk this far, from the Gap of Rohan to Edoras is ten days ride, so maybe twenty- or thirty-day's walk?" She guessed, moving her finger to hover over her city, "By the time we reach Edoras we will all be exhausted, we can rest, get fresh provisions, and strike out East for Mordor when we are ready - perhaps even with horses."

"No, not horses." The wizard shook his head, "Our best chances lie in secrecy, riders are too easily spotted."

"Very well, no horses." She sighed, moving to sit at his side, catching a glimmer of amusement crossing Aragorn's features, "But Edoras, Gandalf, do you think it is reasonable?"

"It is a possibility." He nodded, laying his own finger on the map, "But we would pass very close to Isengard. I would have to be certain that Saruman was not looking for us... Even then." He looked up into the tawny eyes of the young woman, "The White Wizard may well be present in the Golden Hall, through your father."

She swallowed thickly and nodded, "I know. I just... I had hoped perhaps if you were there, you may be able to help him." She whispered, revealing her other motivation for guiding the Fellowship through Edoras.

"You see how that could endanger our quest, don't you, Théadain?" The wizard reasoned as kindly as he could, laying his hand on hers as she nodded slowly.

"There are other strongholds in Rohan that we could reach." Aragorn leaned across the table to look at the map, hoping to lift her spirits with the suggestion, "Helm's Deep is closer to the Gap of Rohan."

"We would be safe there." Théadain nodded, looking up to smile in thanks at the man for his suggestion, "And I could get word to my brother, he would support us in any way we ask."

"It all depends." Gandalf murmured, sitting back to light his own pipe, "Do not pin all of your hopes on reaching Rohan this way, Théadain, there may be less direct paths that take you home."

She nodded and stood again as Elrond entered the room from the open promenade that ran alongside it; "Excuse me gentlemen, Legolas was going to assist me with arrangements for my horse." She bobbed a small bow before turning to go.

Gandalf waited for her footfalls to die away before looking to Aragorn, "You should not encourage her, you know it would not be wise for us to draw attention to the Fellowship."