Chapter 37

Chapter 37

That evening, on the edge of a shallow lake, the people of Edoras made their camp. On a hill above them, Théadain drew up Folca beside where her father sat astride his own mount, Snowmane, looking out over his people.

"Our pace is faster than I thought we would be." She commented softly, "We should reach Helm's Deep by late afternoon tomorrow, by my reckoning."

"You have led them well." Théoden murmured, glancing at his daughter. He could not bear to think of the weight he had placed on her shoulders by succumbing to Saruman's power, and yet he could not be more proud of what she had achieved. In her every interaction she had she exuded kindness and strength, whether she paused with a reassuring word for the elders that travelled with them, a joke for the children, a gentle command for the men. Yet he could see there was something weighing on her, a thinly veiled pain that clouded her features when her eyes had settled on the man that had ridden by the king's side for much of the day.

He knew his daughter well enough to know that her gaze did not linger longingly on men. It never had. Even when he had suggested that she take a husband, she had always laughed him off, insisting that she was already wed to her company, that she had enough men to keep her busy. This one was different.

Even now, he could see her watching the tall Ranger as he worked tirelessly in the camp below them to help the people settle. Théoden could see he was a good man, despite their disagreement over his choice to flee Edoras, there was a strength, a nobility that he exuded. His admiration for the man had only grown when Théadain had softly informed him the night before that he had encountered the Ranger before. The knowledge that the man had ridden with his own father and had met him as a boy explained the sense of familiarity that he had not been able to place. His daughter had chosen well, if this was indeed her choice. However, it was that pained expression she tried to hide that informed him that all was not well in her heart.

"He is a good man." He commented softly as he watched her eyes follow him, smiling as his words drew her from her trance and a light blush coloured her cheeks.

"He is." She agreed softly, "He has a good way with the people... It is a skill that will serve him well."

"If he choses to remain in Rohan?" Her father prompted carefully, watching her face as she smiled sadly and shook her head.

"No father, his path will lead him to Gondor." She informed him softly, "The man that rides with you is the Heir of Elendil. He is not destined to remain with us."

"I see..." The king breathed, looking down at Aragorn with renewed admiration as he diverted two riders to patrol the edge of the encampment. The reason for the sadness in her voice when she spoke of him was clearer now, she did not believe she could follow this man.

"You should rest, Théa, go and eat something." He prompted his daughter gently, nodding towards where Éowyn was bent over a pot, earning a laugh.