Chapter 27

Chapter 27

As dawn broke over what was to be their last day in the boats before meeting the impassable Falls of Rauros, the Fellowship was silent, the air heavy with tension after Boromir and Aragorn's confrontation the night before. Théadain had no patience for the bruised egos of men, but she sensed there was something deeper bothering both of them. As the boats were readied, she moved close to Boromir, crouching by the shore as she helped him load their supplies.

"Last night..." She murmured softly, seeing his shoulders tense as she watched him, "I heard you Boromir, why were you arguing?"

He sighed and shook his head, tossing a bedroll into his boat, "I cannot shake this feeling that our time grows short, Théa." He admitted, quietly enough that only she could hear, "I only thought that if we could make it to Minas Tirith..."

"You know that was not the road Gandalf intended..."

"I know, and he fears the Ring would not be safe there," He cast a hard glance at Aragorn's form as the other man stamped out their fire from the night before; "But if our people could see him, if they knew their king had returned, perhaps they would not lose faith, perhaps we could rally. But he is afraid."

"He is afraid because you expect so much." She reasoned gently, "One man cannot end this war alone. We will return to your city, when we have seen this quest through. And when we do, I expect to be introduced to your brother and treated to every fine thing Gondor can offer." She smiled gently and reached out to squeeze his arm, "Do not lose hope Boromir, it is all we have."

He met her eyes, his gaze softer than before as he gave her a small nod; "Thank you, Théadain."

She smiled in return as she rose, rolling her shoulders as she moved to throw her own pack into her boat, feeling Aragorn's eyes on her as he strode across the riverbank. She turned to look at him, raising an eyebrow at the defensive look in his eyes as he passed her.

"What now?" She groaned internally, reaching out to catch Aragorn's arm and looking at him meaningfully as she strode into the treeline so they could talk. There was more than just his confrontation with Boromir weighing on him, she could feel it.

"Théadain?" He murmured warily as he followed her into the trees.

"I'm here." She murmured, checking they could not be seen from the riverbank before moving to take his hand, clad in his fingerless leather gloves. "Aragorn, enough of these scowls and glares, tell me what is weighing on you, I know there is something you are not telling us, the way you and Boromir spoke last night..."

"Théa, do not try to persuade me, I will not lead us through Gondor." He frowned, moving to pull his hand from hers, but she tugged him back.

"And I do not ask you to. I know that was not the path Gandalf wanted us to take. I just want to understand, what is it that haunts you?"