Chapter 53

Chapter 53

"Assemble the army at Dunharrow- as many men as can be found. You have two days."

The voice of the king held firm as he instructed his Second and Third Marshals, looking to the faces of his nephew and daughter as they listened, both already clad in their armour with helms tucked under their arms, mirroring the readiness of their king. It had taken mere moments from his word that they would respond to the lighting of the beacons for the two Marshals to ready themselves. He reached to clasp both their shoulders, squeezing reassuringly.

"On the third, we ride for Gondor, and war."

"Go well, Father." Theadain breathed softly, clasping his shoulder in return, seeing his gaze soften at her words, "Thank you, for answering their call."

The king only nodded to his daughter, releasing her with a hint of reluctance; "Go now."

She turned with her cousin, hurrying with Eomer down the stone steps of the hall into the flurry of men and horses that had already materialised in the city below. The air was filled with the sounds of shouts, the clatter of spears and the stamp of hooves as the clear clang of a bell rang out over the city, summoning their riders.

"Sweep the Westfold, and as far towards the Gap of Rohan as you can." Éomer instructed his cousin as their horses were brought, "I will cover the Eastfold and send men as far into the Emnets as they can get, without running out of time."

"Pray that they heeded the calls we sent out already." Théadain breathed, grasping Folca's reins as Folhelm appeared at her side, already taking his duties as her second in command seriously. She turned to the younger man with a grateful smile, laying a hand on his arm in thanks, "I need you and nine others assembled – the rest of our company can ride with my father's."

"As you wish, My Lady." He nodded, turning to hurry for his own horse.

"Go well, Théadain." Éomer murmured to his cousin, "Leave yourself enough time to reach Dunharrow on the second day, the men will need rest before we ride out."

"I will." She assured him softly, clasping his hand in farewell as he offered it to her. "Have an ale waiting for me if you arrive first."

"Only if you do the same." He chuckled, releasing her hand before turning to stride into the stables. Drawing in a steadying breath, Théadain led Folca a short distance from the chaos of the stableyard, placing one foot in her stirrup to mount just as she heard a call of her name.

"Théadain!"

She turned at the sound of Aragorn's voice, a relieved smile breaking over her features as she saw him dashing between the riders to reach her. Returning both feet to the ground, she rushed to him, throwing her arms around his neck and embracing him tightly. She had feared that she would have to leave before she could say goodbye to him, though she knew two days was little enough time to be apart, she still hated the thought of separating from him.