Chapter 56

Chapter 56

Warm and bright, the first rays of the sun bathed the encampment of the king in a fiery glow, illuminating the figure of the Third Marshal as she sat amidst the tents, turning a small object over and over in her fingers.

Experimentally, she slipped the ring on to the third finger of her left hand, smiling wryly as it naturally fell straight to the base of her finger and swung loosely, almost comically oversized – the weighty design of two serpents entwined around a single emerald pulling it to one side. Still, she twisted it around and held it in place, trying to imagine how it might look fitted there more permanently – and what that might mean.

In every way, save for actually voicing the question, he had asked her to spend her life with him. To be his queen. That first thought made her heart thrill, the idea of a future with the man she was so utterly devoted to – the second part caused a little more apprehension. She still did not believe she was the right choice to hold a position like that, even if he thought as much.

Still - battle loomed, and Aragorn had disappeared into the depths of a cursed mountain. The future may not be something she needed to consider.

Her thoughts were interrupted by a warm hand landing on her shoulder, looking up from her absent fidgeting with the ring as her father smiled gently down at her. Rising, she returned his smile, though hers lacked strength, troubled as she was by her thoughts.

"He asked you?"

She blushed a little at the king's smile, her fingers uncurling to show him the ring. "In a way, yes."

"He asked for my blessing, before he left." He chuckled softly, looking down at his daughter fondly as her eyes widened in surprise, "I gave it to him, of course, but I did warn him that it would hold little sway over my daughter."

"It holds more than you know, father." She assured him softly with a smile, leaning into his side as he wrapped his arm around her shoulders affectionately.

"You agreed then?"

She shook her head with a quiet laugh, "He would not let me, I am to answer when – if we meet again."

"Though you will agree?" He guessed, frowning as he saw her mouth twist uncertainly.

"If I do, it will mean leaving Rohan..." She whispered, glancing at where the men were beginning to mill around the encampment. "I will have to abandon my post; I could not keep my role as Marshal..."

"Perhaps we will have no need for Marshals in times of true peace." He smiled fondly down at her; "And Rohan will endure, with or without either of us."

She bit her lip at his words, glancing up at him, "You think the battle will go ill?"

"I fear it." He murmured honestly, squeezing her shoulder gently. "I suppose there would be no use in me asking you-"