Chapter 43

Chapter 43

"Rohirrim, with me!" Théadain called to her men, raising her sword before turning to lead them down the dark stone steps, towards the pathways that led to the lower level of the keep. Her breath came in ragged pants as she braced her free hand against the wall before charging out onto the lower level of the keep. Her company did not make it far before they encountered the Uruk-hai that had made it over the wall, a cry of defiance leaving the Shieldmaiden's lips as she threw herself into the fray.

Spinning and twisting, she cut down each enemy that stepped into her path, spurred on by the terror that threatened to consume her, harnessing it.

For the first time since she had left Rohan, she found herself fighting alongside her countrymen once more. Her company mingled with the crowds of other fighters defending the wall, all frantically battling to try and preserve what was left of their land and people.

Yet they were being forced back, for each step she took forward she had to dance back three to avoid being struck, even then receiving the odd knock from a well-placed armoured limb. Below her, her feet continually stumbled over the debris of battle; discarded weaponry, armour, bodies... Though she did not dare look to confirm her fears. There were simply too many of their enemies, they flooded the lower levels, and as the sky began to lighten above her, it was becoming desperately clear that she could see more Uruks than men.

"Fall back!" The call rang out, bouncing off the cold stone walls that surrounded the last forces of Rohan, making Théadain cry out desperately as she heard the command again, cleaving the head from an Uruk's shoulders as she did so.

"Retreat!" She called to any of her men that were left, any that could hear her, "Get to the upper level, pull back!" She watched as the few that remained turned to follow her order, holding herself firm as she forced back a few more of their enemies to give the men time, before turning to flee after them.

Her steps were shadowed, every few seconds she had to turn to cut back one that snapped at her heels, snarling with frustration as she locked blades with one halfway up a flight of steps, feinting to the side to knock him off balance and throw him down, just as another swiped clumsily at her, cutting across her chest and knocking her onto her back on the steps, her helmeted head hitting the stone heavily.

Her breastplate took the brunt of the blow, but she still felt the crushing weight of it forcing the air from her lungs as she scrambled back, kicking the advancing Uruk in the jaw even as it sliced at her legs, only managing to catch the side of her calf before she kicked it away, scrambling to her feet to force her body to the top of the steps. She could see nothing now but Uruk-hai as she ran, forcing her burning, aching muscles to carry her into the keep set in to the stone face of the ravine, skidding through the great wooden doors of the hall just as the guards moved to pull them closed. Breathlessly, she let herself slump against the wall by the door as it was barricaded, panting heavily as she closed her eyes. They were trapped, beaten. There was one passageway at the back of the hall that led to the caves, but that was the only way out. Even then if they made for the caves, they wouldn't make it out the other side to the mountain pass before their enemies were upon them.