Chapter 59

Chapter 59

The feeling of relief, of clear, unbridled elation was indescribable. After so many days of darkness and doubt, it warmed Aragorn's heart like nothing he had ever felt before.

After that brief moment of taking in their victory and releasing the Army of the Dead from their oath, his thoughts had quickly turned back to the battlefield.

Even as he had been fighting in the thick of the fray, he had not caught sight of her, though his eyes had constantly searched for that flash of copper hair as he fought - even going so far as the scan the ground as he ran, terrified that the vision he had seen in the Palantir would become reality. Yet there had been no sign, nothing to indicate that she was near.

Then, as Éomer had approached him as peace had fallen over the field, offering only a small shake of his head in response to the dark-haired man's questioning glance, they had turned to search the plain. He had felt his chest growing tighter each time he came across a fallen bay horse, swiftly checking for any of Folca's distinguishing marks before moving on.

And then his eyes had fallen upon her.

Stood amidst the debris and ruin of the battle, her gaze fixed out on the plains that stretched ahead of the city, he had watched her run one tired hand through her copper curls as the wind toyed with them lazily, her sword hanging loosely in her other hand. Her armour was battered, smeared with dirt and blood, but still she stood tall among her fallen enemies - alive.

She had turned as he had approached her, unwilling to call out and startle her, and as she had caught sight of him her sword had slipped from her trembling fingers, her bright, tawny eyes swimming with unshed tears as her gaze locked on his.

"Théa..." Aragorn breathed, breaking into a desperate run to cover the last measure of distance between them and catch her in his arms, clutching her shaking frame to his body as she clung to him with a small, frantic sound. His hand found her hair as he cradled her head against his shoulder, feeling her clutching at his coat as a shuddering sob of relief left her lips.

No, he could not describe the feeling of having her in his arms once more, living and breathing and safe.

"Aragorn..." Her choked sob of his name only spurred him to hold her tighter, his lips soothingly pressing into her hair as his arms supported her, already feeling that her legs were beginning to give up on her.

"I hope I didn't come too late?" He breathed softly into her hair, recalling the last words she had spoken to him before he had ridden away beneath the mountain. A soft sniffle against his shoulder and a small shake of her head made his lips quirk into a gentle smile, looking down at her as she drew back slightly.

"Only just." She whispered in reply, her voice wavering with withheld emotion.

Carefully, he cupped her cheek in his hand, tilting her chin up so her eyes met his; "Théa?"