Chapter 36

Chapter 36

The funeral was terrible, harder than Théadain had imagined it would be. Laying her brother's body to rest and watching her father grieve for his child left her chest aching with despair.

Outside the Golden Hall, before the funeral procession had begun to move through the city and down the hillside like a great black snake, she had summoned the strength to speak as her brother's body was borne down the steps by the pallbearers. Among the men that held him up stood Baldan, his expression of sorrow hidden behind his helmet. They had waited, looking to her and her father as they had stepped out to face the mourners that lined the pathway. She had known they were waiting for some parting words, but as her father stiffened at her side, unable to speak, she stepped forward.

"This day, we lay to rest a Man of Rohan, a valiant warrior, a son, a brother in blood and arms and the man that should have been King." She spoke carefully, looking down from where she stood on the steps into her brother's face as he lay peacefully, his hands clasping both his sword and a sprig of simbelmynë that would blanket his tomb. "Our Prince fell in defence of this land that he loved so fiercely, his duty is done now, his patrol is ended and we that are left must carry on." She drew in a trembling breath, biting her lip to force back her tears. "Today we mourn him, weep for him, but tomorrow we rally. My brother lived with such joy for life, such a love for his land and people, and so, holding his memory close, we must carry on, living as he lived, even after he is gone."

She had felt the eyes of her people on her as she bowed her head and nodded to the pallbearers, taking her father's arm as she led him down the steps, following Théodred's body to his resting place.

Whatever strength had supported her speech almost failed her on that long walk to the barrows. Had she not felt the comforting presence of those she loved around her - of Baldan and her company lining the path, her father at her side, Legolas, Gimli and Gandalf walking a few paces behind - she may have crumbled under the weight of her loss. They buoyed her spirit, carrying her along like gentle waves, away from the undercurrent of grief that threatened to drown her.

Though she had not let her eyes settle on the form of Aragorn amidst her companions, she felt him there too. As if her spirit still reached for him, clinging to the tether of comfort his presence had always brought her.

Théadain could not bear to move after the men carried the great stone into place to seal off the tomb. For a moment she had stood staring at the slab, shivering as the chilling wind tugged at her hair and clothing, the words of Éowyn's haunting lament echoing through her mind. She had not realised that her cheeks were tracked with tears until a warm presence at her side drew her from her trance.

"He is at peace now, Théa." Aragorn murmured softly as he looked down at the trembling young woman at his side, longing to reach out and brush the tears from her cold cheeks, despite the fact that her words from the night before were still seared in his mind. He regretted that had not been able to express his sorrow for her loss before, when they had been alone. Now his words felt hollow, a formality murmured amongst a crowd where a comforting embrace would be viewed with quick glances and whispered of with gossiping tongues.