Chapter 45

Chapter 45

Theadain had no way of knowing how long she knelt there on the cold stone floor, quietly following the whispered instructions Aragorn gave her, to fetch water, more bandages, a needle and fine silk thread. At times he was so focused on his work that he would murmur to her in elvish, before recalling that she did not understand and repeating his words in the common tongue. When he had no tasks for her, she simply clutched Baldan's hand, holding it tightly in hers and murmuring soft comforts and demands that he was not to leave her, watching as Aragorn would occasionally move to lay his large hand over her friend's brow, his lips moving to form unheard words.

It felt as though hours had passed when Aragorn finally sat back, rubbing a weary hand over his face as he looked to her, seeing the expectant, hopeful expression that crossed the young woman's face; "The bleeding has stopped, Théa, I just hope we were fast enough." He whispered gently, watching as she swallowed thickly and nodded in understanding.

"He has a chance now." She breathed, glancing at her friend's face. He had slipped into unconsciousness some time ago, his breathing shallow but steady. It was his fight now; she knew there was no more that they could do. "Thank you, Aragorn." She whispered earnestly as he moved to her side.

"You said he had a wife?"

"Yes... I... I should fetch her, but she is carrying his child and I'm afraid seeing him like this would be too much of a shock..." She bit her lip, also afraid of having broken her promise to the woman to keep her husband safe.

"It might be best to send for her." He murmured gently, his hand moving to squeeze her shoulder gently as she nodded, "And you should rest, Théadain."

"No, not yet." She shook her head, glancing up at him pleadingly, "They need me still, they haven't opened the caves yet."

"Théa..."

"No." She insisted softly, carefully laying Baldan's hand at his side as she stood, "I'm alright." Casting one last glance at her friend, she moved to duck out from under the curtain, striding out through the chaotic healing quarters, aiming to reach the gates of the caves. She could hear Aragorn following her but ignored his persistent footfalls as she moved to where Gamling stood by the stairs, overseeing the corpses of the Uruk-hai being dragged from the fortress.

"We're preparing to let them out, my lady." He murmured, nodding in the direction of the caves as she paused at his side.

"Good... I need to speak with Hela."

"Is Baldan...?" The man trailed off reluctantly as she shook her head.

"No, he's alive. Just." She assured him, her eyes moving to Aragorn as he stood at her side. "I'll return to him once I've found his wife."

"Théadain, you must rest." Aragorn tried to insist, reaching for her arm as she stepped away, "You've been fighting, you'll be of no use if you exhaust yourself."