THIRTEEN

Seeing the white car fly and crash into the building, I smirked, hearing cheers coming from my earpiece

Seeing the white car fly and crash into the building, I smirked, hearing cheers coming from my earpiece. "As impressive as that was, we need to be leaving," the cool-headed British man stated in your ear.

"You're just jealous you couldn't do that" I teased the man who had become an older brother to me as the team continues to leave devastation in every move they made.

Not that putting a car into the side of a building wasn't destructive enough.

"If I had wanted to do it, Rose, I would have" Owen lied as I followed behind him now ready to get out of dodge, I had a job to do, and it was done "now let's go before that oaf comes for us again."

That silenced any arguments from me and my teammates, Luke Hobbs, is an agent of the Diplomatic Security Service tasked with hunting down and capture wanted criminals, and we were in direct line of his sights.

"Let's go," I mutter as glancing around at our team, only realizing we were one car short halfway back to our base, "where's Oakes?" I ask into my comms when I still couldn't see the bald man's car following.

"Drive now Rose, worry later" Was the only reply I had as I blinked and concentrated on getting back to our temporary hideout, we would soon be leaving again to a different place of operation.

Getting back to the base, I frowned when Owen exited his car and began talking about the next part of our mission "Are we not going back out for Oakes?" I questioned as the dark-haired man glanced over at me.

"No."

Seeing my face, he gave me a small smile and patted my shoulder "He knows the way back, he presumably just got held up" I just sighed and nodded at his words, I didn't have any reason to doubt his statement.

Owen had never steered me wrong before.

"Okay," I gave in feeling confused until I noticed a particular car parked in the garage along with ours, Deckard was here, I felt a small spark of peace knowing he was here.

Since my first mission, we had become closer, especially now as he had taken to training me with certain things, with him being a mercenary I wasn't going to let the offer down.

He wasn't always the easiest to work with, but I had learned more from him in the short time we'd spent training than I had with being trained by the team.

Plus, he was easy on the eyes, and I couldn't say having him pinning me down in the gym was a bad thing.

"Good girl" Owen praised kissing my head as we all made our way up to the main floor, everyone seemed to part like the red sea as soon as the missions were over, and we'd only get together for debriefings.

I couldn't shake the feeling that it was wrong, I assumed a team would be different. I thought a team would be something more familiar, especially when we're supposed to put our lives on the line for each other.

Making a beeline to the fridge, I pulled out water and fruit I had already chopped up, knowing adrenaline makes me hungry, placing my grapes on the counter and gasping when a hand reaches out for one.

I glance up to see it was Deckard who had taken a grape from the bowl "you know the last time someone did that, I stabbed a fork into their hand" I warned him as he gave me a grin.

"and my hand has never been the same since Love," Owen calls out as he walks past the two of us with a sly smile, but I was too busy watching the Cheshire like grin overcome Deckard's face as he chews.

"So you must like me then, to let me do that" He smirks, taking another one from the bowl like he was testing me, baiting me to rise to his words.

"I must do," I answered with a coy smile before Owen calls out for Deckard, "but if you touch my food again, I will impale your hand with a utensil specifically used for spearing food."

Deckard just turned with a broad smile as he let out a chuckle "an eloquent threat, I like it" A wink was thrown my way before he turned again.

I let out a soft snort as I watch him leave the room, shaking my head, continuing to eat the fruit before cleaning the bowl, and making my way to my room ready to clean the mission away.

Passing the room Owen took as his own I stop hearing the conversation going on inside. "I see you're on team member down?" Deckard said as Owen just made a noise of acknowledgment.

"He made a mistake, and now he's paying the price. He's expendable" my stomach dropped at Owen's words and made me wonder if that's how he thought about the rest of us.

If we made a mistake, would he just leave us behind like we mean nothing to him?

Pushing open the door, I glared at the two men standing in the room "You have really got to stop listening in on our meetings" Deckard sighed as this wasn't the first time I've caught them talking.

"Maybe you should learn to close the door if you don't want to be heard," I hissed back as his eyebrows raised in shock before I turned to Owen, who just watched me walk closer to him like a pissed off animal.

"Is that all we are to you?" I questioned as his eyebrows pinched in confusion. "Expendable? I thought we were a team?" I crossed my arms, hoping neither of them could hear my insecurities behind my anger.

"Should I be watching my back, Owen?" I asked as he gave me a look of indignation when I challenged him like he was offended I could even think that "Am I just some malleable pawn to you?".

I took a step back as Owen moved towards me his face showing his unhappiness "not you," he whispered, placing his hands on my shoulders "never you" I just watched him silently still unhappy with his excuse.

Feeling him squeeze my shoulders, I watched a charming smile stretch over his face as he let out a small chuckle "we are a team, Rose. I sometimes say things out of foolish anger," I tried to turn to look at Deckard, but Owen gently held my chin.

"You are not going to be left behind," The British man promised with a small smile. "Oakes has done these jobs longer than you and should have known better, but we will find him" I couldn't help but think that the last part sounded threatening.

"I found you when you needed someone the most, and you've been nothing but loyal to me ever since, albeit like an annoying little sister, but I'll take it" I heard Deckard chuckle behind me and I let a small smile slip.

"Do you think Oakes is loyal to us?" I question the man in front of me as his face brightens at the dismissal of my previous concerns.

"I suppose we'll soon find out won't we" was all that was said as Owen lets his hands drop, he and Deckard share a look over my shoulder "you shouldn't worry about our loyalties" Owen motioned between the two of them.

Even with the questions, I was loyal to Owen, he found me and built me back up from the shell of a person I had become. He, Deckard, and the team were all I had; most days, I couldn't even trust myself, but I trusted these two fiercely.

I just glanced between the two British men as they each gave me a different kind of smile, but both equally charming, "I guess we will after all respect is earned, honesty is appreciated, trust is gained... loyalty is returned."