Chapter 5 (Michael)- An Invisible Empire

April 13th, 2032
New York City

The sun had already set by the time Michael Campbell arrived at his hotel room in Manhattan. He had spent the whole day at the United Nations for one of their summits. Besides the diplomats and ambassadors, the President and Vice-President of the United States were there as guess speakers to plan and discuss about corporations that grow too big, and powerful, and the effect it has on the environment, among other topics. President Onofrio Di Corrado, the first immigrant ever, the second Catholic, and the second Greenie elected president, spoke openly about all these topics. And Vice-President Charles O'Donnell had President Di Corrado's back the whole time. Michael instantly became friends with them once he became a Senator almost 10 years ago. At the time, his wife, Kamaria Geier-Campbell, was already a Senator too, which made becoming one a bit more easier. As members of the Green Party, aka Greenies, they were mostly out spoken by the other political parties so they had to work hard to get heard in the government and country. Once it become constitutional for a non-American to become President, they all jumped to have Di Corrado and O'Donnell be running mates. The people had spoken. Di Corrado, an Italian immigrant, became the 47th President.

Afterwards, almost everyone got together at a reception hall to some dinner and conversation. Most of the White House and Congress showed up; some to congratulate the President in working with the UN, others who were just being nosey, and the few who always express the opposition. Like Senator Jake Barrett, from California. Michael's nemesis, of sorts.

"Climate change is not real, gentlemen. When will you understand that?" Senator Barrett mocked in front of Michael, the President, Vice-President, and some other Greenies, "It is a rhetorical question." He sneered waving his hands. "Not when their are other problems plaguing our country, and the world... like wildlife management."

Everyone within earshot laughed. Micheal definitely could not help but chuckle. Wildlife management being a bigger issue then climate change? What silliness. Climate change is effecting wildlife in major ways, so much so that the old archaic ways of management are quite unnecessary. Climate change was the issue to be tackled. Micheal decided to entertain such a thought and ask.

"How has wildlife management become more important of an issue Senator Barrett?"

"Because of the carnivores, of course. They have gone unchecked for some time now and are continuously encroaching on ranches, villages, and towns. The people are crying for help and want us to set up proper and legitimate hunting seasons to combat these carnivores. Government sponsored hunts. Especially for the wolf. Such a foul beast!"

Almost everyone laughed again but oddly, Michael noticed, some stayed quiet. But he chuckled again anyway.

"Really Jake? That is your big new concern?" Michael smirked. "You know that the previous cabinet got rid of the old wildlife management's, federal and state, departments. You know that the government at that time decided federal and state legislatures should have no hand in what happens to wildlife. Most of us Greenies and the others agree. If the people want to hunt, then so be it. Not that we can stop them anyway. Even though I personally feel hunting should be illegal. But I am one of a few so we are outspoken. Hunting is too old of a tradition to be done away with so easily. Why should we should we meddle with such a thing?"

"Because wolves are evil and need to be destroyed. They need to be made extinct!"

Laughter again but from even fewer people this time. Micheal had no idea what was going on but before he could figure it out, Senator Barrett spoke up again.

"Glad to see you all still find me so funny!" Jake hissed sarcastically, "How about my younger brother being dead? Would you find that funny?" The whole room went dead quiet. "No, I guess not." He paused to have a drink. "I thought that I could try to get through to any of you, one last time. I will be going away... for a while. A long while. I will have to tend to some family and personal matters in the wake of this tragedy." He turned to walk away. "See you around... Maybe..." Then he left.