Chapter 18 (James)- The First Supper

April 14th, 2032
Outskirts of Carson, Washington

The more James thought about it, the more he had seemed to recognize Karen's father's name: Leonard Des Moines. Or at least a name connected to Leonard, and Carson, with the surrounding area. There was something familiar with all of that, he just could not figure out what it was. As a teen, knowing that he wanted, and preparing, to become a writer and author, he had to do ton of research. Since then, he had come across so much information, knowledge, and history, that it was hard to remember everything. Unless he used it for one of his novels, it was hard to keep track of what he knew, and learned. But there was something there. Carson especially rung some sort of bell in his head. And it was not in regards to one of his books.

It took most of the afternoon for James too get situated in Karen's cabin before dinner. Almost all of the other retreat members ate dinner together in the spacious dining room of her cabin. These people have been living together for months or even years. They developed some deep solidarity and familial relationships, especially with Karen and the psychotherapist, Dr. Oscalie Ballou. Currently there are 7 members: 2 new ones who have been here for a few months, and 5 who are "regulars" who come and go for months but have been attending for many more months and years. Twins Clara and Tara are new. Xavier, Guy, and Forest have been here on and off for 2 and a half years. Hunter and Vanessa have been for about 4 years, on and off.

Clara and Tara were identical twins, with the former suffering from anxiety, and the latter suffering depression. Xavier had paranoia and thinks that the government and other people are always listening. Guy was an achondroplasia dwarf with OCD and some depression. Forest had a fear of trees and most things green. Hunter was schizophrenic and would hallucinate, thinking that "imaginary" animals would talk to him and tell him what to do. Finally, Vanessa watched her parents get killed in front of her when she was younger and grew up with anger and PTSD ever since.

They all got help from Dr. Oscalie "Cal" Ballou. She grew up and was educated in New Orleans before traveling the world helping people. Eventually, and 14 years ago, Karen's father hired her to work at the retreat. In a way, Karen could consider her an older sister. Dr. Ballou knew that she could never be a filler, or replacement. She only helped Karen when asked. Cal would even have considered Leonard Des Moines a father figure of sorts. Of course, his death was hard on her as well. Which is why and how her role got bigger and she started the daily dinners.

Each of them slowly assembled into the cabin as dinner was being made. James was in his wheelchair waiting in the living room. He watched in fascination as this assorted group of misfits chatted and bickered among themselves around him. He was reminded about how this was the perfect set up for an Agatha Christie novel. Now all that was left was for there to be a mystery. Then he stared at that locked door again. Mystery indeed. What secrets might be beyond that door? He got his note pad and jotted all of this as an idea for his next book.

"Hey there! You must be James Solberg! The famous author!" Hunter approached with his hand extended out. Everyone else finally turned to look, seemingly noticing him for the first time. "Welcome to the Retreat!" They shook hands. "The animals say hello too!"

Everyone surrounded James like a bunch of fans flocking to their celebrity idol. In that moment, he felt loved again. Not kicked to the curb and rejected because of his handicap. He felt like he was on top of the world. He relished it as it invigorated him. As they asked him questions, he looked back at that locked door again. Something was calling to him. Then his attention went to the window with the woods outside. Calling and beckoning him. Almost like this is exactly where he belonged, and needed to be. Finally, he stared at Hunter again.

"The wolf wants you James..." Hunter seemingly mouthed quietly while also shouting in James' ear at the same time.

Wolves.