Chapter 14 (James)- The Retreat

April 14th, 2032
Carson, Washington

James was driven and arrived in the town of Carson in Washington after noon. He met Karen Des Moines at the Bungalow Bar & Grill for lunch and had his stuff transferred to her car. Karen was now the owner of the Retreat he will be going to and living at. From what he found out, she inherited the place after her father died about a month ago. From what he heard though, the Retreat was a great place to rest, relax, and restore one's reserves. Plus Karen as a physical therapist could really help him out.

She wheeled him to a special table and day right next him. He saw that her leg touching his but even though he could not feel, he enjoyed the physical contact. He found her to be beautiful and very attractive. As they ordered their food, he tried to remind himself that they will have a professional relationship and nothing could interfere with that. Especially not feelings. Being a popular author does that, but he could not let history repeat itself...

"My father absolutely loved this place", Karen said interrupting his thoughts, "He loved it so much that occasionally he, or I, would come to pick up or order take out from here. During those times he would go off into the woods with the food. I found it so strange... Now I miss it, and him..." A tear had left her eye. She shook her head and wiped out away. "I am so sorry James! Here you are with your own problems and here am I overwhelming you with mine! This place brings back memories for me..."

"Hey, I get it Ms. Des Moines!" James consoled her grabbing her hands. Sometimes he just could not help himself. Surprisingly she did not pull away. "The same happens to me too." He smiled at her.

"Please, call me Karen!" She smiled gently holding and squeezing his hands back. "At this point, I think we are beyond the formalities. I am your number one fan!"

Huh? James was beyond confused by her statement. Such perplexity must have been written on his face because she quickly explained.

"Misery? The old book by Stephen King? About the crazed fan who 'saves' but later confines and breaks his legs confining him to a wheelchair? Well, I have read your books and I absolutely loved them all! I am like one of your biggest fans!" She paused at his shocked expression. "Sorry was the joke too soon and in poor taste?" She looked down at the table.

After the food came, James started laughing. Really laughing out loud. Now it was Karen's turn to have a shocked face.

"Gotcha!" He exclaimed filling his mouth with food. "You are not the only one with a sense of humor!" This time he grabbed her hands again lacing his fingers into hers. This made her blush even more. "Trust me when I say this: Yes, being paralyzed and wheelchair bound... is a rough topic for me... especially because of the circumstances that caused it... But if I let that bother me all of the time, then I would not be able to enjoy the best parts of life... Like laughter, and love." He kissed the back of her hand. Now he really could not help himself. "Plus, I enjoy a good dose of dark humour once in a while!" He winked at her.

"I love you!" Karen said with a face so blushed that she could of have been a tomato. "I love everything about you so much! Even more now! When I saw your name come up, I knew that I had to have you come to my father's Retreat... To my Retreat. I hope that is not weird, or creepy?"

"No, not at all! You are not the first fan to proclaim their love for me... But you are the first after the accident. Seemed like once I became damaged goods, fans and the rest of them, they did not care about me anymore. Honestly, I have missed being adored by my fans..." He paused to not reveal too much info. "I hope that is not me coming off as desperate, or clingy, or worse yet, me taking advantage of you?"

"No, not at all!" Karen repeated eating her own food. "But I am sorry to hear that. It is definitely not right that you were treated like that..."