Chapter 8 (James)- State of Mind

April 14th, 2032
Portland, Oregon

James Solberg's time at the hospital was at an end, especially after spending over 2 years there. Tests and experiments to get his body working resulted in little to nothing. Physical therapy was definitely not working. Nothing more could be done with and for him, so he decided to check himself out. He had a severe concussion, been paralyzed from the waist down, and partially burnt from a car crash. As an upcoming author, he would travel the country to find inspiration for his stories. He was born and raised in New York City but always felt that all of America was his home. That in his home, there was many stories to be told. While starting his 11th novel in Oregon, he was driving in the mountains when a "hunter" accidentally shot out his tire causing him to wreck. James's car eventually flipped, landing in a ditch, and caught fire. Fortunately, another driver pulled him out before his car exploded. Afterward he woke up in the hospital not remembering much of what happened. After an investigation, he was told that the bullet that blew his tire came from a hunting rifle that went missing some time prior. Since he could not remember what he was doing in the mountains, the police could not investigate any further. So the case went cold and James was stuck in the hospital. At least one of the nurses took really good care of him.

She woke him up early that morning. Sitting in his wheelchair, the nurse had helped him with packing the little that he had. Fortunately, he was referred to a place up north of the state line that will be able to take care of him and give him room and board. As far as he could tell, and was told, the place doubled as a retreat for handicapped and special adults and a Summer camp for all kids, handicapped included. Everyone at the hospital and online had very good things to say. The retreat had been in operation since the late '90s and had been family owned. Arrangements had only been made and he was allowed to live there for as long as he liked. At this point, he needed a bit of a break for his own sanity.

"You will absolutely love it there! My cousin stayed there for some time and absolutely loved!" James's nurse declared as she finished up packing. "I won't say I won't miss you... but I will."

"Thank you, so much. For all that you have done for me." James smiled. "I really appreciate it. You have been the best!"

"Nothing to it!" She winked. "You were one of the easier ones!" Then she giggled. "I kid but seriously, I was only doing my job. I truly care for my patients."

"Then you deserve a raise!" He winked back. "I will let everyone know what a great nurse and person you are. With your permission, I may even put you in my book!" Another wink.

"Speaking of which, here is your laptop." She picked up his computer off of a dusty shelf. "I know that it got pretty banged up in the crash, but are you still sure you do not want me to make sure it works?"

He shook his head. "I will do so when I am ready. I just don't want to worry about any of that right now."

"Fair enough." She conceded while checking her phone. "My cousin will be here soon."

"Glad to hear that. I can't wait! I am excited for this opportunity! I hope that it will help me be able to... move on... And remember..." He shook his head. "Anyway, Des Moines' Retreat sounds like a fantastic place to do."

"It really is!"

The nurse wheeled James to her cousin's van as soon as he arrived. They placed James into the passenger seat then loaded up his stuff and wheelchair into the back. He hugged his nurse goodbye and told her to keep in touch.

Driving away, her cousin spoke up. "There has been a slight change of plans. The current owner will be meeting up with us in the nearby town and will then accompany us to the retreat. I hope that is okay?"

"Sure, that's fine. Where is this town?"

"Carson is a few miles south of the retreat. Since we will be passing through anyway, it will not take much time out of the drive."

James nodded staring out the window.