Chapter 20 (Seth)- A Howling Wilderness...

April 14th, 2032

The Forests of St. Helens

All afternoon, Seth sat around doing very little as Arda and Poe catered to his every need. And he really meant catered too. After quickly burying Alex's body beyond the bushes, they went about trying to make him feel as comfortable as possible. Then the two animals went about getting food and water soon after. The way they moved about and coordinated with each other, it completely amazed and dumbfounded him. So much so that he had to lie down to keep himself calm. Could this possible be all in his mind? Could everything just be in his imagination?

Seth obviously hit his head hard on the crash. He most likely got a concussion from the injury. Maybe this was just one big hallucination? Or maybe he was dreaming? Or maybe... maybe he was dead. And this was Heaven, or limbo. Definitely not Hell, he was sure of it! But yet, his best friend was dead... No, that cannot be. This was not Hell or anything else. None of that seemed to be the case. This was the woods. Some patch of forest near Mt. Saint Helens. There just happen to be a wolf and crow helping him out and taking care of him. That was all supported by what Arastoo found in that cave in Iran.

Arastoo, his mentor... Was right.

Once Seth regained his composure, he knew that what he was experiencing, and witnessing, was sound. As far as the evidence goes. So far there was nothing to tell him that a wild wolf, and crow, could not bond with and form a relationship with a human being. Unfortunately, Arastoo was brief in his message but clearly indicated that a relationship was not only possible now, but goes back thousands of years.

Of course, humans being humans, that all ended. Humans hated wolves for centuries. Even to this day, it seems that that hatred had evolved into a global conspiracy to keep this relationship hidden. Hence Arastoo's and Seth's predicament. He thought about Micheal, Demetrio, and the rest of his friends, wondering if trouble caught up to them yet.

Arda and Poe came back with a bucket of water and a cup. Never was it so good to drink fresh water! Such an odd thing for two animals to find in the woods. Suddenly, Seth thought that maybe he was not alone in the woods after all. And that maybe these animals were not wild and was actually listening to someone else. That someone out there was playing a sick game with him, an airplane crash survivor. He stood up and tried putting pressure on his ankle. He quickly looked around to see if there was an indication of another person in these woods. He shook his head. After a few minutes, he has to sit back because his ankle started to hurt again. It will need some more time to rest.

Arda and Poe looked at him quizzically as if trying to figure out why he stood up. Seth shook his head. "Never mind that you two. Don't know why I am trying to fight against the reality and evidence of the situation! I am just going to have to accept that there is more to you animals then previously thought. What Arastoo found in that cave is proof of that!" Arda and Poe relaxed a bit and seemed happy with that statement. "Like with what you both have been trying to do, my survival is of the upmost importance!"

Seth looked realizing that in taking care of him, the two animals have neglected themselves. He shook his head again. He decided to give some water to Arda and Poe. They both drank with pleasure remembering their own thirst. Arda licked him on the face with joy. Her gently hugged her back and allowed Poe to rub his beak on his face. They were all lost in this moment of love. He never wanted to let go. He never wanted to be alone again. He never wanted to not feel loved. The last time he felt like this was with Totit.

Surprisingly, while holding on to and in close proximity to these animals, Seth found himself thinking about Totit again. Thinking of their time together. Thinking how good they were for each other. Thinking about the future they had planned together. Thinking about how they let their educational and career aspects get in the middle of their relationship. Thinking about how one day Totit slowly grew distant with him. Thinking about how he would get angry with her. Thinking about the breakup. Finally thinking about the fact that she did not reply to his messages. He knew that it was a risk and a chance to contact her, not only because of the threat to her life, but also because they have not talked in such a long time, she would not bother to answer. But he hoped. He hoped that she was just ignoring him and not in danger herself. A tear fell from his eye at the thought of both.

Arda licked Seth on the cheek bringing him back to the moment. He shook his head wiping away the remnants of liquid from the tear. He pulled Arda into another hug and kissed Poe on his head.

"Don't worry about me you too." Seth tried to reassure them, "I was just reminiscing about things that once were..." He shook his head again. "Anyway, I think it is time you two had something to eat!"

On that note, both animals gave their love to Seth again before heading in a specific direction through the woods. Alone again, he just laid on his back staring at the darkening sky through the tops of the trees. Taking in the serenity of the situation, he briefly closed his eyes and drifted off for a few minutes.

Seth woke up to licking on his face. The sun completely set and Arda had blood on her muzzle. Behind her was a partially eaten ungulate. By his feet were a pile of sticks and chunks of wood. Confused at first, he looked at Arda who seemed to have nodded suggesting that she brought the wood as well. Shuffling and metallic banging by the wreck caught his attention. Poe was fluttering about in there as if looking for something. After a few more minutes of exploring and frisking, Poe finally finished, flying onto his forearm. Held within Poe's beak was Alex's lighter that he sometimes kept in the plane. Quick to understand what they wanted to him to do, he went about making a fire and cooking the meat for dinner. And he was happy.