Chapter 21 (Seth)- ...Does Not Howl

April 15th, 2032
Forests of St. Helens

Seth was awoken by a dream very early the next day. As always though, he could not remember what it was about. Just that it left him with a feeling of neophilia. Seemed that the dream was about him being happy and content, but should be really be? It's been about 12 hours since the crash and still no rescue. At this point the gears turning in his head was telling him that there will never be a rescue. That no one wants him to be found. Or that certain people don't want him in the picture. Those people want him dead. Either from the crash itself, or from the elements. Of course, the unexpected happened. He survived the crash, and he will survive the elements. But he will do so with the best of help. Help from his wolf and crow.

As Seth lay there, Arda was curled up next to him to keep them both warm. Poe was on top of her snoozing away. Seth petted the both of them, trying not to wake them. The sun had started rising not too long ago and he wanted them to sleep a bit more before they got about taking care of him again. He hoped that once his ankle stopped hurting him, he would be able to give them a bit of a break. He understood that their bond ensured that they would do whatever it took to take care of him and keep him alive. But he felt bad. He did not want to feel like he was exploiting them. He did not want them to be his slaves.

Seth stared up through the trees again towards the brightening sky. That feeling of peace came over him once more. He closed his eyes taking in the quiet and calm of the wilderness. He remembered the few times he went camping with his parents at Yosemite National Park. How at ease and comfort he felt being under the stars at night. Having to rely on sunlight during the day. That was one of the many reasons he chose to become an archaeologist. To be outside during a dig. To be stationed in nature for an excavation. The adventure of an expedition. After he lost his parents, he got to experience some of that with Arastoo. But it was not the same. It was lacking something, until now. Being here made him feel just as he did with his parents, maybe even better. Their deaths seemed nothing more then a distant memory at this point. And he liked it. Now, he really did not feel bogged down with grief. These woods and animals made him feel like this. Surprisingly, he would not want it any other way.

Arda and Poe woke when the sun started peeking over the landscape. Before Seth could say anything, they attacked him with love. He ate it all up. He pulled them both into a hug and kissed them on their heads. Then, he assumed, they both went off to get breakfast. He allowed, for now. As soon as he could walk, he wanted to gather whatever supplies he could, and move towards the closest body of water. That would make less work for them to do. While he started another fire, he was going to think about their next step.

By the time they came back with meat and water, Seth came to a troubling conclusion. That whoever wanted him dead, may even go through the trouble of making sure if they succeeded or not. That time might be running out. That better get on the move, and quick. Unfortunately, his ankle still hurt. After breakfast, he was definitely going to try standing again. This had to be done, sooner rather then later. After they were finished eating, another thought came to him. That maybe it was already too late. Maybe there is someone in the woods right now, watching, waiting. With a gun or a knife. Or anything. Searching for the right opportunity to do him in. Then he realized that Arda would sense if there was someone else hiding in the trees. This calmed him, a lot. But he had to make sure.

"Arda." Seth called out in a whisper.

She came over and licked him on the face.

"May you go make sure that there is no one else around?" He caressed her head to reassure her. "Make sure there is no one who will do us harm?"

Arda looked around fearfully as if just realizing that she was negligent in her guarding duties. She gave him a shrug like grin, gave him another lick, and trotted off in the direction behind the plane.

Poe ruffled his feathers and huffed.

"What? Would like to help too?"

Caw!

"I guess that is a yes!" Seth said shaking his head. "Go ahead then, but be back as quick as you can! I will like to start leaving as soon as I walk!"

With that, Poe took off into the air, climbing up through the branches. Still amazed by these animals, he sat there to take in the beauty of the moment for a few minutes. Satisfied, he crawled back over to the wing of the plane. He sat upon with both feet on the ground. As slow as he could, he got up into a stand. He put pressure on the both legs and feet. His left ones still hurt, the ankle especially more so, but it was manageable. He walked around a bit to see how much he could handle. Feeling even more satisfied that they pain did not get worse, he went about searching the plane. The moment to continue on, to really survive, has finally arrived.