Chapter 19 (Demetrio)- A Thousand and One Nights

April 14th, 2032

Isfahan, Iran

Arriving later that night at the "safe house" to collect their supplies, meant that they had to act as fast as they could. Demetrio had no idea how they could possibly make their deadline. They were considering leaving as soon as they could and head towards the small town in the Zagros Mountains. Dimas of course wanted to rest and sleep for the night, and leave before daybreak, but after a bit of a discussion, gave in to leaving sooner.

They quickly went over a game plan. They would drive to Baba Zahed and rest there for the remainder of the night and leave for the expedition site at dawn.

"Some of my contacts have reported that Baba Zahed has been quiet the last few days." Kaspar nervously remarked as they finished up packing, "Which is not unusual for a small isolated mountain town... But I can't help to think about the timing..."

"You think they attack and kill whole town?" Dimas asked first, slowly getting upset.

Kaspar solemnly nodded and looked down. "Seems possible. Arastoo's family's contact lived there. Regardless of whether or not the identity of this contact was known, they more then likely wanted to keep anyone who may have seen and interacted with the expedition team quiet. I am still waiting on one of my contacts for the identity."

Amazed at how far these people would go just to cover their tracks, Demetrio shook his head in disbelief. "I still just can't wrap my head around it! Why does Arastoo stumbling upon evidence of a human and wolf relationship constitute such a threat that requires so many people lives to be in danger? To possibly have a whole town get slaughtered just hide that fact? Why does this evidence need to be kept hidden?"

A silence hung between them for an uncomfortable while. Demetrio realized that he may of have made a fatal mistake. He got too comfortable around these two. There was no knowing how much they really knew, or even who they are truly working for and where their allegiance lies. Could they really be trusted? He shook his head again. Of course they could be trusted, they both spoke the oath. And that can't be broken. Before he say anything about that, Dimas ended the silence.

"I like wolves. They are nice and fun animals. I have a wolf back home. He my friend." Dimas peered over at the other two men, with concern.

"How do you feel about wolves Demetrio?" Kaspar spoke next. Dimas nodded in confirmation.

A combination of relief and glee came over Demetrio. He knew that this was a test and that he was going to pass. Besides not feeling any hatred towards wolves, he also had Arastoo's, Seth's, and Michael's messages. "Wolves are fantastico!" He then played the messages for them.

As the car continued down the road heading into the mountains, Kaspar and Dimas had looks of unease on their faces.

"Have you told anyone else about this? Did you let the contractors or employers know about this?" Kaspar sternly asked.

"No."

"Oh, that is good!" Dimas happily wiped sweat off of his brow. "So good!"

"Indeed!" Kaspar did his sexy smile again. "You do not know how excellent it was for that to be the case. After listening to Arastoo's own words, we really don't know who we can trust. Let's keep anything we find to ourselves until we have that figured out. From this point on, we can only trust each other."

"Da!" Dimas agreed.

Demetrio grabbed both men's shoulders again, squeezing Kaspar's a bit more tightly then before.

"Yes!" Demetrio chimed in. "To the Brotherhood!"

Zagros Mountains, Iran

It was very late by the time they arrived at the mountain town, or at least what was left of it. Kaspar assumptions were correct. Before arriving, his contact told them of the identity of Arastoo's man, and that he might of have left, or been taken, before the town was razed. This troubled Demetrio greatly, who was able to tell that Dimas was very upset.

"This just definitely got a whole lot worse? Didn't it?" Demetrio sadly asked.

"Oh yeah..." Was all Kaspar could respond but yet had decided to hold Demetrio's hand.

"Da, da..." Dimas added, "Now is personal!"