22 - sundae

Timothée can't drive me to school today.

I usually walk whenever he cancels on me but today I couldn't bring myself to walk such a long distance all by myself.

Don't get me wrong, I am physically able to walk the entire forty five minute journey to school. But my mind hasn't stopped buzzing with concerning thoughts since my nightmare last night and I can't bring myself to be stuck in my own thoughts the whole walk there.

So I wake Aaron up.

Like the good brother he is, he doesn't protest or complain. He simply agrees to drive me to school even if it means I woke him up from his peaceful sleep three hours before he usually wakes up to go to work.

I feel bad. I feel selfish for making him drive me, but I can't stand the constant whirlwind of thoughts that goes through my brain every time I'm alone, every time I'm by myself with nothing to distract me.

Nothing kills me like my own mind.

You did this. I tell myself. You couldn't handle your fathers torment and that's what killed her. You ran away and she went to find you and now she's dead and Aaron has to deal with you all by himself.

You did this.

I shake the thoughts out of my head once I catch Aaron staring at me. I must look terrified right now because my hand is shaking and my eyes are starting to tear up in a matter of seconds.

I feel so weak as before him. He doesn't say anything, he just looks at me with a hint of concern and then he walks over to me and takes my hand in his. 'Ella what's wrong?' He knows, he knows I'm hurting he knows I'm not okay.

He knows.

I squeeze Aaron's hand. 'Nothings wrong.' I lie. 'I'm fine.' I lie once again and smile so I can convince him I'm okay. Immediately the concern that was on his face vanishes and he smiles back at me.

'Good, because you had me worried. You're not sick are you?' He lets go of my hand only to bring the back of his palm up to my forehead to feel for my temperature.

Of course is first instinct is to check if I'm ill. I'm not sick so he doesn't find anything unusual. 'You sure you're okay?' He asks. I nod silently and with that he opens the door for me and we both head outside.

I'm already having a horrible morning but to make matters worse Drew leaves his apartment the same moment we leave ours. He turns around and his eyes catch mine.

He looks like shit.

He has a black eye, his face is purple and bruised and his eyes holds a very sad expression that I can't quite describe. All I know is that once I laid my own eyes on him, my heart sank. 'Hey.' Aaron says breaking the silence and causing Drew to tear his intense gaze away from me.

'Hey.' Drew replies forcing a smile, but failing to give a genuine one to Aaron.

'You look.. bad.' Aaron says and I elbow him in the ribs which doesn't do anything because he still continues talking nonetheless. 'What?! I'm just telling the truth. You look like shit man what happened to your face.' Aaron studied Drew's face even more but I don't have to study it to know what happened.

It's all in Drew's eyes. The way he looks at me, like he knows I'll understand him. It speaks more to me than words ever could. He did this. Is what I get out of Drew's stare. My step father did this.

I have to inhale a shaky breath before I step forward so I'm closer to Drew and father away from my brother. 'I'm so sorry.' I whisper, so only he can hear me. Drew looks away from me and I can see the tears that start to form in his eyes. He doesn't want me to see him at his breaking point.