34 - pressure

There's a soccer match today.

The last one before the school year ends.

Im supposed to be leading my girls to victory, but I don't know how I can possibly do that when I can't even get my head in the game. My team is counting on me, hell even the boys are counting on me not to make them look bad.

We have two matches against Madison High today. The first one was with the boys team, and they managed to win with a beautiful score of 3-1 and next up is us.. the girls.

My team.

Halie jogs up to me as I'm tying my cleats, she takes a seat very close to me on the bench which immediately causes me to sit up and look at her with a puzzled expression. 'What's going on?' I ask. 'You never willingly get this close to me.' I continue to remark which only makes her roll her eyes at me in annoyance.

She tries to wipe the snarl off her face and look sincere. 'Look.. I just came here to say that I really need us to win today.' Ughh.. just another person to add to the list of people pressuring me right now. 'My parents are in the crowd.. my moms been mad at me ever since the whole.. well Sam probably told you so I'm not going to elaborate but yeah.'

I start to soften up as I watch her eyes grow misty. 'And my dad loves soccer.. so it would mean a lot if we win today Ella.' I see the concern written all over Halie's face. I've been out of it lately, and she can tell.

At practice I get really aggravated and I fuck everything up. I miss easy goals, I attack when I should be defending, I run when I'm supposed to hold my ground. Coach even pulled me aside the last few practices to tell me to get my shit together because I've been so out of reach.

I'm the captain for fucks sake, I should be acting like a leader and a good example to my teammates. It doesn't matter if I'm heartbroken. It doesn't matter that it takes me a lot longer to get out of bed in the morning. It doesn't matter that I can't think of him without my throat drying up.

I need to focus.

I nod. 'Don't worry Halie, we're winning today.' I say with finality in my voice and when she sees the look in my eye she knows I mean it, I'm not playing around anymore.

She nods sternly and then jogs toward the field to warm up. I follow suit and try my best not to look behind me. I know Noelle's sitting on the bleachers with my brother and Sam. I want to look at them but I remind myself the boys team are forced to stick around and watch things play out for the girls.

So I try not to look in that direction, because I can't look at Timmy. I can't see his face, I can't catch his gaze and see the longing he conveys through his eyes. It'll throw me off. I won't be able to concentrate.. and I need to do this.

For coach.. for Halie.. for my team.. for the boys team.. fuck for everyone sitting on those bleachers right now.

After a short warm up Coach shouts at us to get into position. I'm standing in front of a Madison High player and she wears a smug look on her face as she looks me up and down. 'Ready to eat shit?' She asks and I can't help the chuckle that escapes me.

She has on eye shadow, some eyeliner and some very visible blush. Her blonde hair has glitter in it and her red lipstick matches her jersey. I scoff. 'In your dreams princess.' The whistle blows and I kick the ball to Halie who hurtles towards the goal.

Immediately I'm filled with adrenaline, my eye is on the ball, Halie is dribbling it and once she finds that I'm open she kicks it towards me. I get a hold of it and head for the goal but a defender sprints toward me making me kick the ball backwards to Tara, a midfielder on my team.