Perfect Dinner

"Daddy we get fowers?"

"Yeah, they're on the table.  Remember you picked them out?"

"Oh yeah."

She laughs a little before running into her playroom, making sure to stay where I can see her.  I get the steaks, and Sienna's mac and cheese, ready for dinner since Jen asked me to cook today.

"Sisi, come on we have to go outside so I can cook this."

"My mac and cheese?"

"No, the food for me and mommy since you won't touch it.  Your mac and cheese is done."

"Your food yucky."

"Yes, I know.  Everything but mac and cheese and pizza is yucky.  Can't imagine how you know that without trying anything though."

"Cause I smart."

She dances around, right into the freshly cleaned patio door and falls dramatically onto the floor thinking I'll care.

"Well, you can come outside when you're ready.  I'll leave the door open for you."

I throw the steaks on the grill, watching for her since I know she'll probably lock herself in the house or something.  She rolls around on the floor until she somehow manages to roll right out of the patio door, falling right onto the cement deck.

"Daddy my dress messy!"

"Well I wonder why."

"I feel."

"Yeah, I watched you. Come here." I get the dress off her, letting her run around in her diaper so she doesn't mess up anything else "Go play with Norm.  He wants to play fetch with you again."

"I fow toys?"

"Yeah, remember you throw them really far so he has to run and catch them."

I take one, throwing it across the yard for Norman to show her. She runs over instead, picking it up herself, obviously not understanding any of it.

"Daddy I catch!"

"Do you want me to throw to you and Norman?  So you can both catch?"

"Yeah! I run faaaaar."

"No I think you're going to stay near me so mommy doesn't get mad."

I throw toys to opposite ends if the yard so they don't fight each other and quickly check on the food.

"Dadddddy." I look over to see Sienna standing next to me holding the toy "You take long."

Norm barks behind us letting me know he is waiting as well and that I apparently am not good at multitasking.

"Okay go race Norm over to the fence. I wanna see who wins!"

They of course fight each other on the way there, Norm tripping Sienna and then her trying to hold him back as they play fight with each other.  It's cute, and neither of them is getting hurt so I let them continue with that while I finish getting everything ready.

"Mhmm it smells good here," I turn to see Jen walking towards me "I was expecting more frozen chicken nuggets tonight."

"We thought we'd surprise you tonight." I pull her towards me for a kiss "We got you flowers too.  They're on the table."

"Where are her and Norman? In her playhouse?"

"I don't know, they were play fighting for a while.  They disappeared."

She laughs, rolling her eyes as she goes looking for them.  I pull the steaks off the grill once they're done, setting everything on the table.

"Babe... come over here!" Jen waves me over as she gets my attention "Be quiet."

I look over her shoulder to see nothing but Norman's butt and Sienna's diaper as they both lay in the same position looking under the fence.

"What the hell is she doing?"

"Shhh. Listen to them."

"Woof!  Woooooooooof! Woooof!"

"Ohhh my God..." I laugh once I hear it "Is she barking?"

"Yes," Jen replies broken up between laughs "What is wrong with her?"

"Woooooof!  Woooof!"

"She is so weird."

"Should we leave them there?  I mean they're getting along for once."

"Yeah but do we really want our child acting like a dog, Jen?  He drinks out of the toilet and rolls in the mud."

"And?  Yesterday we found her sitting in a pile of garbage.  Not much of a difference."

"Yeah true.  Let's go eat.  She'll come back when she's hungry."

We sit at the table enjoying and semi uninterrupted dinner for once.

"So you finally have a break from filming next month, right?  I'm trying to figure out if I want to sign on with that movie yet."

"Yeah we have three more episodes and then we're off two weeks.  I thought it would be fun to take her somewhere. "

"We could take her to that little creamery. She loves ice cream and they let you pet all the animals."

"That's cute.  And for us? We need time too."

"I was thinking that Vineyard we always talk about going to.  We can do a whole weekend getaway."

"That's perfect."

Sienna and Norm run up to us looking for their food once they're finally done with their weird barking.

"Mama home!"

"Hey baby!" Jen puts her on her lap trying to feed her some steak "Daddy worked really hard on this.  I think you should try some."

"Nooooo. My mac and cheese."

"You are so spoiled, baby." Jen laughs as I get up to heat up the mac and cheese, knowing she won't even touch anything else.

"So what did you do with daddy all day?  Were you good?"

"Yessss I good. I play Norm."

"Looks like you tired him out.  He must have had fun with you."

I stand in the door, watching them talk as I wait for her food to heat up.  Sienna's so happy in her mama's arms, and Jen's so happy having her there enjoying every one of these precious moments she can get.  They laugh about something, having no idea I'm watching their every move, wanting nothing more than to remember these times.

"Daddy it wedy?"

I'm interrupted when she runs up to me letting me know she's actually planning on eating for once.

"Yeah it's ready baby.  Go sit with mommy and I'll bring it out."

I laugh at her little legs as she runs as fast as she can, oblivious to the fact that it looks hysterical.

"So," Jen looks from Sienna to me once she finally starts eating "I've noticed she doesn't have clothing on..."

"Yeah, you probably don't want know why."

"I fall mommy. I not bad."

"And how did you fall?"

"At the door."

"She was laying on the floor and rolled right through the door.  Looked fun."

"And her clothes?"

"There's a hole in her dress so she couldn't wear it anymore."

"Sisi," She looks over at her "you're so lucky we think you're cute."