~6~

"Huh? I said what?"

"You said you would help me with the daxial array," Krel said, grabbing her arm and dragging her out the school doors. (Y/n) pulled her arm away.

"You probably heard Aja or something," she said. "I didn't say anything of the sort."

"Mmmm, I am fairly certain that you did," he said, turning to face her. She frowned, thinking.

"Okay, when?" she challenged.

"In gym...? Are you really so reluctant to help me?" Krel turned to face her. She stared at him.

"I did not," she said. She slapped a hand over his mouth. "I did not."

"You want proof?" Krel spotted Eli and waved him over. "Did you hear something about (Y/n) helping me after school?"

"Uh huh. The daxial array? Whatever that is?" Eli said, looking between them. Krel glanced triumphantly at (Y/n). She grunted and crossed her arms, turning away.

"Fine," she said grudgingly. "Let's get this over with."

They returned to the mothership and down to the engine room where the daxial array should have been. Krel picked up one of the pieces and turned it over in his hands. (Y/n) shifted back to her Akiridion form, prompting him to do the same.

“So, what do we do first?” she said, stepping over to the mess of wires and destroyed metal.

“Well, let me see,” Krel said, purposely stepping between her and the project. She rolled her eyes. 

“You want me to help but then prohibit me from doing anything,” she said. 

“You haven’t gotten instructions yet,” Krel said defensively. “Wait for my signal! I’ll tell you what to do! But the slightest mistake could lead to this ship exploding!” (Y/n) paused, then stepped back. Now she had an idea. If the royals never made it off the planet, that removed them and Vex from the equation. Though, that would mean she would be going out with them. She shrugged. A worthy sacrifice. 

She folded her arms and tapped her foot impatiently as Krel analyzed the space. “Hm,” he muttered. “Alright, come here.” She stepped over to him. 

“So, what exactly would make the ship explode? Just so I don’t do it,” she said. “I’ll be extra careful in those areas. I’m not tech savvy at all.” Krel blinked, then shook his head. 

“Any wires threaded the wrong way. Something hooked up to the power source in the wrong way,” he said. She nodded taking mental notes. Everything to mess up intentionally. 

“Alright, hold this.” He dropped the claw shaped device into her arms. “So…” He started muttering to himself, pacing along the platform. (Y/n) bent down and set the device down quietly, fishing out a handful of sparking wires. She hissed as they sparked against her hand and Krel turned around. 

“What are you doing?!” he exclaimed, rushing over and grabbing her hands. “I told you not to touch anything!” She glared at him. 

“I could have sworn you’re supposed to hook the power up to something,” she said. 

“Not that!” Krel turned her hands over. “You burned yourself, no less!” He pulled her up and, still gripping one of her hands, dragged her out and sat her down. “This is a delicate procedure! I already stressed this! Why won’t you listen to me?” 

“Well, I’m sorry,” she said. “I’m just experimenting.” 

“‘Experimenting’ could kill everyone in this ship and maybe our next door neighbors!” 

“You don’t have neighbors!” 

“What’s going on?” They both froze when Aja, still in human form and holding the Corgi version of Luug, stepped into the engine room. She glanced down and saw Krel gripping the lieutenant’s hands and a wide grin spread across her face. “Oh! I’m sorry for interrupting!” 

“Aja, wait!” (Y/n) called, pulling away from Krel, but the Queen-in-Waiting was already gone, cackling as the hidden door in the fireplace slammed shut. She turned back to Krel, mouth pressed into a tight line. “Great. Now she and Mary are never going to let it go.” 

“Romance doesn’t develop in a couple days!” Krel protested, slapping a hand to his face. “They don’t seem to understand that!” 

“I mean, Aja and Steve almost kissed on their first date,” (Y/n) pointed out. 

“What?! When was this?” 

“Well, she had that kind of attitude of I-had-to-escape-before-things-escalated, you know? Mary’s had it way more than once.” Krel made a face and she nodded. “So? Am I free to go since I messed up?” Krel frowned. She lifted her hand. “Burn?” 

“Ugh! Fine! Go have Mother check it. If it’s not too bad, I’m not letting you get away.” (Y/n) grit her teeth and managed a small bow. 

“As you wish, Your Majesty.” 

“Don’t call me that. I want to know your status as soon as possible. That’s an order.” 

“Yes, Your Highness.” He growled and turned to face her, but she had already disappeared into the house.

“So?” Aja asked as (Y/n) trudged out. 

“I burned my hand,” she said, shoving her hand towards the royal. Aja blinked. “He was just checking up on me.” 

“Oh,” Aja said, not sounding at all disappointing or believing. (Y/n) groaned. 

“I’m having Mother check it,” she said. “Think you can make an excuse as to why I’m not heading back down there?” 

“Why aren’t you?” 

“Because I’m going to blow the ship up if I do.” 

“Can’t have that.” 

“Great Seklos and Gaylen, Aja. It’s not romantic yet! I’m not friends with you guys, either! I’m your second guardian, and that’s how it’s going to stay. If I get distracted by whatever you think is happening between us, it could get you killed, or worse, your parents. Just let it go and treat me like you treat Vex!” 

“Varvatos is our friend,” Aja said, unfazed by the lieutenant’s outburst. “So, you’re my friend?” (Y/n) groaned and the Queen-in-Waiting grinned. “It’s okay to be our friend, (Y/n), and it’s okay to like Krel. Clearly, he likes and cares about you, too.” 

“No. He. Doesn’t. Give it a rest. Please. Or I’m just going to keep my eye on you from a distance.” 

“No! Don’t do that!” 

“So shut up about it and I’ll keep coming back.” Aja sighed and scratched Luug's head, not saying anything else. (Y/n) nodded and continued to her destination. "At least, until my mission is complete."