~7~

"Okay, now pull your arms back like this," (Y/n) said, lifting her arms and gripping her serrator. Krel copied her, Aja on her other side. Vex was preoccupied with the TV and the lieutenant had offered to take up training for an hour and had forced Krel to come since his fighting was so pathetic. 

"Now step forward," she said. "And give it a nice clean swing. Start slow and don't kill me." Krel squinted and did as she said, the serrator making a soft whooshing sound as it cut through the air. Aja leaped forward and did some sort of acrobatic, turning back to (Y/n) just as she swung her serrator and clashed with the Queen-in-Waiting's. 

"Too slow," the lieutenant said. "You're too easy to anticipate." She stepped away from Krel, who dropped the serrator and rubbed his forehead with two hands, the other two on his hips. (Y/n) ducked another swing from Aja and swept her legs out from under her. The Queen-in-Waiting landed on the ground with a heavy thud, her serrator skidding out of reach. 

"How do you do that?" Aja asked, looking up at the lieutenant. 

"Years of training from the best. Zadra taught me much," (Y/n) said, tapping the center of her chest. She spun her serrator in one hand, the blade a blur. "Her staff is one of a kind, unfortunately, so I had to settle for a serrator. But with other trainers, I was able to wield it professionally. I always wanted to make Zadra proud." 

"I'm sure you did," Aja said, pushing herself up. Krel retrieved his own serrator tapping it against one of his hands. His sister grabbed her own serrator and unsheathed the blade. "Now, teach me like they taught you." 

~

(Y/n) pulled her hood over her head, sliding off the roof of her house and slinking along the streets, keeping to the shadows. She paused when she heard voices, familiar voices. Jim and Toby were out tonight. She'd heard them more than once, seen them as well. She knew the city inside out and knew they often went to the canal for some reason. She had just concluded that was where they hung out at night. 

She was nearing the Tarrons' house when she heard the unmistakable sound of a sword unsheathing. She turned around, serrator in hand, however sheathed. 

"Who are you, and what are you doing here?" the figure with the sword said. He was in silver armor with blue tracing through it, both hands gripping the sword and an angry expression on his face. It was Jim. 

"Who are you and what are you wearing?" she sneered. Jim's hands only tightened on the sword. "Taking a kitchen knife around, expecting to threaten me? You have no idea what I can do, and what I'll do to accomplish it." 

"What I do know is that I'll take you down," he said. "You're not doing anything tonight." 

"You're right. I'm not. However, I would like to get to know you." She unsheathed her serrator, only to place it on the ground and lean against it. "Are you the guardian of this city?" 

"More or less." 

"Then you know it pretty well." Jim narrowed his eyes. 

"I'm not here to talk," he said. 

"What else can you do? Do you really want to fight me? I have no problem with it." 

"What are you doing? Why are you doing it?" 

"Alright...I'm here to collect some bodies." Jim blinked. "No, the Tarrons are not murderers. I'm here to collect their bodies." 

"Why are you telling me?" 

"You asked, didn't you? You would have figured it out eventually, and you have no idea who I am, so I don't see why not." Jim twisted his hands on the handle before lifting it and running at her. She sidestepped and lifted her serrator, however, Jim had apparently been expecting this and clashed straight with her before she could get a hit in. 

"Nice," she said. He gritted his teeth and stepped forward. He was surprisingly strong and forced her to take a step back to brace herself. Her playful demeanor dropped. "You see, this job is very important. The Tarrons are not what you think. If anything, I'm helping you from having to deal with my boss. If he comes here, then you're going to have to deal with an army. So, may as well let me get rid of them while you can."

"As far as I know, they're innocent," Jim hissed. He pulled his sword back and swung it. She blocked it, but she was on the defensive as he drove her back towards the house. "You admitted to wanting to kill them, which makes you more guilty than they are." 

"And what business do you have to interfere?" she snarled, kicking his stomach. He doubled over, the tip of his sword hitting the ground. She hit the side of his head with her fist and shoved him to the ground, planting her foot firmly on his chest. She used her serrator to force the sword out of his hand and nudged it out of reach. "These are my targets and I'm not going to let you stop me from getting to them! You're just a little boy who thinks he can play hero!" 

"Yeah, but I'm not alone," Jim said. 

"Wait, what?" She heard a distinctive battle cry and Toby launched himself out of the trees with a large orange hammer in hand. Claire jumped out from behind the trees, a twisted staff in hand. Jim pushed (Y/n) off him and stood up, retrieving his sword. 

"And if you refuse to submit, there's more," he said. "So I'd suggest coming." 

"To where? You're little treehouse?" she snarled. "No way." 

"You don't have a choice." Then Claire pointed the staff at the assassin's feet and a black portal opened. She cried out as she fell through, two hands catching her on the other side. 

"Quickly," a brisk male voice said, a cold, hard hand covering her eyes. Someone jabbed something into her side and darkness enveloped her.