~23~

"(Y/n), you're coming with us," Vex said as the group prepared to go to the 'Kleb or Alive' premiere where Krel had predicted Kubritz would try and draw them out. But they'd be waiting. "I want to be able to 'keep an eye on you', as the humans say."

"Alright, but if you fail, there'll be no more inside information from General Morando," she said, shrugging. Varvatos grabbed her arm and dragged her out to the taco van where Stuart would be driving them to the theater before returning to his shop to watch over the royals' parents and start building Seklos' cannon if the worst came to pass.

"Are you going to fight with us or turn back to Morando as soon as things get rough?" Aja asked, glaring at the assassin.

"I don't know," she said, crossing her arms. "You're making me really want to stick around."

"Stop," Krel said softly, staring at his hands as the truck started moving, jostling them all. Aja tilted her head, reaching two hands out to him. He put one of his on her palms. "If she fights with us, she fights with us. If she doesn't, she doesn't. It's as simple as that."

"Traitors will be traitors," Vex said, glowering at (Y/n).

"You're one to talk." He curled his hand into a fist but said nothing more.

They arrived at the theater and Stuart dropped them off, driving out. They then settled down to listen while they waited for Kubritz to show up. Krel stared at the ground, unwilling to look anywhere else. (Y/n) approached him, lightly touching his arm. She glanced over, but Aja was preoccupied with talking to Vex and Toby seemed rather interested in listening to his work.

"I'm sorry," she whispered and Krel finally looked at her before glancing away. "If tonight goes badly, I want you to know that I care for you. It doesn't matter if you believe me or not. I haven't stopped thinking about how much I hurt you and I'm so sorry for it. I...I love you, Krel." And with that, she stepped away from him, going over to stand on the other side of Vex, where he looked down at her, then away. She was too afraid to see his reaction. She stiffened when she heard soft footsteps coming towards her when a crash sounded.

"Kubritz," Toby said.

"That's our cue," Aja chimed in, activating her hover board and beckoning to her brother. Krel hesitated, then jumped on and the pair soared out, Toby running out and leading the second pair. Varvatos stayed behind (Y/n), though she thought it was entirely unnecessary. Time to be self-sacrificing.

"Surrender the Tarron children or-" Kubritz spotted Aja and Krel and (Y/n) laughed, almost guffawing. Go to Morando for fashion? That'll be a hard pass. He had designed her assassin uniform, but it had been so simple that it would have been hard to have messed it up.

But Kubritz's? Pathetic.

"Be careful what you wish for!" Aja shouted, pointing her serrator at the colonel. Vex, Toby, and (Y/n) halted behind them, unsheathing their weapons. Kubritz simply smirked, pointing at them.

"Destroy them."

"I'm really starting to hate Omens," (Y/n) said as the robots marched towards them. "Ugly and redundant."

"Varvatos Vex does not like agreeing with you, but you are correct," the commander said as he ripped the arm off the first one and used it to swat away others.

"We'll make you an opening," Toby growled, hammering his way through a horde of Omens. The Tarrons took off while the assassin and Vex headed the rest of the Omens and Kubritz.

"You did betray Morando," the colonel spat, a ball of blue energy forming in her hand. "He suspected you but was willing to give you a chance. I knew I should have finished you off!"