26

Adrien instantly noticed Lila standing by the gate of the Bourgeois mansion once he climbed off his limo. He started walking towards her, only because he wanted to know more answers as to what the press conference was really about. Lila caught him before he reached her, and waved. Adrien didn't wave back. He was determined.

"What's going on?" Adrien didn't waste time at all. Lila flinched a little, as if not expecting the question, but she gave an answer anyway as she pointed towards inside the backyard of the mansion.

"Mayor Bourgeois is announcing something extremely important that he had to hold a press conference," Lila looked down at the phone she was holding. "You're just in time. He's about to start his speech. Gate's opened."

"Why aren't you going in?"

"I. . ." Lila paused. "I honestly don't even know why I'm here. I guess I just wanted to hear what the speech was about, but I'm kinda too afraid to enter now because of Chloe. You know she's most likely to find out that I snitched."

"Yeah, but what is she going to do you?" Adrien started opening the gate, taking his eyes away from Lila. "Chloe isn't that powerful anymore, especially with so many people against her now. You know what I mean?"

"Hm. . ." Lila seemed to think about it, before she stepped inside behind Adrien. "Yeah, you're right. Thanks again. You've come again just when I needed you."

Adrien ignored her words as he started walking towards where Mr. Bourgeois was holding the press conference — in his backyard. That was a little weird. The mayor had never held a conference in his own backyard. Maybe he hadn't want to leave his home. Adrien shook his head. The only thing that mattered now was finding out why he was holding the conference and if it would help him find more clues as to where Marinette was.

"Hello, people of Paris. Thank you all for coming today," Mr. Bourgeois started. There were a few people and reporters taking pictures and taking notes. "I know this may seem weird, holding this conference here. . . But I wanted to make this quick. Nothing too fancy, as what I'm about to do is release some bad news." Mr. Bourgeois continued. He noticed his daughter shaking her head right from where she was sitting, but he ignored her.

"I've heard of what has been going on at school. Like I once said to someone, I'm not deaf, neither am I blind. I've seen the posts made by people and of course, my daughter, about the way school has been. . . About what has been going on. Me myself isn't pleased with all these news, and I'm disappointed. . . Especially at my daughter!" Mr. Bourgeois could notice some people muttering words to each other, like they couldn't believe that he was actually saying these things. "I. . ." He continued. "I don't think the school should keep on standing."

He heard loud gasps coming from the crowd, especially with some teenagers that looked about Chloe's age, but he spoke on anyway. "The school needs to be taken down. Knowing that bullying and other bad things have been going on around inside that school, I feel very much disgusted with it. Yes, I know it was Chloe's fault, and I'll punish her for it. It's also my fault, for not teaching her properly, for not seeing what was going on before it got too far. Now my friends' daughter is missing, and I feel at fault."

Adrien smiled a little at the words, but he could notice Chloe hiding her face with her palms. Good! He thought. She deserves the embarrassment. She deserves even more. He focused his eyes back on Mr. Bourgeois as he opened his mouth and continued to speak.

"Now, I don't know how much trouble Chloe had caused, or how bad she treated her classmates, but I'll make sure she learns from her mistake, seeing that it was bad enough to have a classmate leave. Just disappear like that with no words of where she was going, no words to anyone of why she was leaving. Though, I'm pretty sure we all have a clear idea of why she left!" Mr. Bourgeois turned and looked over at his daughter. "Chloe, come up here!"

Adrien watched with a wide smile as Chloe stood up, her face angry, but walked up to her father anyway. "It wasn't my fault!" She yelled out. "It wasn't my fault. It was no one's fault. I didn't do anything. I'm not the reason why Marinette left!"

"Chloe, enough!" Mr. Bourgeois tried not to raise his voice. "Now, Marinette may not be here, but I assume that she's still alive and well, and I assume that she's probably watching this conference live on whatever device she has with her." It pained Adrien to hear that. Marinette didn't have her phone, so she was most likely not watching this. "Which is why," Mr. Bourgeois raised a finger, "Chloe's going to apologize."

"What?!" Chloe stared at her father in shock and anger. "What?!" She couldn't just hear the others laughing at her, she could feel them. Their laughter made her heart beat faster, made her angrier by the second, it made her want to run, but the look her father was giving her. The look looked pissed, like something bad was going to happen if she didn't apologize.

"Yes," Mr. Bourgeois nodded. "You're going to look right at the camera, and you're going to apologize to Marinette, and to every other students you'd ever tortured."

"No!" Chloe stepped back. "I didn't do anything wrong. I'm not apologizing-"

"Then you can consider yourself no longer a part of the Bourgeois family!" The words sent shock to everyone, even Adrien. He stood there, surprised as he watched the drama unfold right in front of him.

"You. . ." Chloe's mouth hung agape. "You're kicking me out of this place?"

"Chloe, I will not have a spoiled brat for a daughter. I've made a mistake by being the one to spoil you, but now I'm not going to be that same person anymore!" Mr. Bourgeois shot back, suddenly not caring that lots of people were watching him. "Chloe, apologize, or your punishment will be much more worse than what I've come up with!"

Chloe's lips quivered. She dared not look at the crowd of people, silently waiting to see what she'd do next. "I. Hate. You!" She mouthed out the words, before she whirled around and took off, and everyone could see the tears bursting out of her eyes.

"She's faking."

Adrien turned beside him to see it was Lila who had spoken. "What?"

"She wants people to have pity on her, so she's faking her tears. She's pretending to be hurt, and, I'm sorry to say this, but. . . Her father may be a part of her plan. She wants everyone to see her as the good person getting framed and a punishment she doesn't deserve. That's what I see."

Adrien had to admit that it made sense. Mr. Bourgeois sounded sincere, and he believed him and his words, but what Lila said made him rethink of what he thought about the Mayor.