28

She picked up the cup of hot chocolate that had been placed in front of her, took a small sip, before looking up at the man in front of her. "Why?" Was all she asked.

The man frowned a little, placing his cup down. "Why what?"

She sighed, warmth filling her body as she took more sips of the chocolate. She finally looked dead serious at the man and folded her arms. "Why did you do it?!"

"Ah-" He looked down at the floor, a small smile forming on his lips. "I had no idea of what you were about to do. All I saw was a helpless girl in need of help because she was drowning-"

"I wanted to drown!"

The man dropped his smile after her words. Finally he let out a small sigh and looked up at her. The both of them sat in silence, taking sips of their hot chocolate and simply looking somewhere else to avoid eye contact. It was about a few more minutes before the man looked up at her again, and asked in a low voice; "what's your name?"

She looked at him, deciding whether to answer the question or not. Though this man was just a stranger to her, he had still welcomed her with amazing hot chocolate with gentleness. She gave up on her thoughts and looked away. "It's Marinette."

"Marinette. Ah, what a beautiful name," The man nodded slowly after getting his question answered. "And what is a girl like you doing here? I was so shocked to see another person here since I was the only one living in this area. When I saw you and thought you needed help, I immediately dived in without a second thought."

Marinette gave a small smile that at least this man was nice. But she didn't answer his questions, and he didn't seem to mind.

"Don't you think your family and friends will miss you?" The man began again.

Marinette thought about it. Thinking about how worried the others would be of her made her grateful that this man had been around to save her. Stupid! She thought to herself. I'm so stupid!

"Although it's been nice to have a company and a nice one too, I think you should go back," The man spoke with all seriousness.

"What about you?"

"Ah, I don't have no one," The man gave a small shrug like he didn't care, but Marinette could hint the sadness in his eyes. "I just recently lost my family in an accident. Was the only survivor. Could you believe that? There was a doctor around this area who helped me out, but soon he had to go back to his family. This. . ." The man pointed around the small cabin they were inside of, "this is his. He let me have it. Such nice man."

Marinette slowly nodded. "I'm sorry for your losses," She spoke in a tiny voice, as if afraid something bad would happen if she spoke loudly. "You know. . . Maybe you could come along with me." She didn't know what she was saying at that moment, but she still went along with her words.

The man stared at her for a few seconds, before shaking his head. "Nah."

Marinette didn't know how to convince him, so she didn't try.

"You go back. Soon. I'm sure everyone who loves you would miss you."

As soon as he said that, Marinette's mind instantly went over to Adrien. Did he even care? Sure her parents would care, but she wasn't so sure about Adrien. He'd probably already given up on her. Chloe had probably already convinced everyone that she was dead.

"Okay," She spoke louder this time. "I'll go back. Just not now."

~

No matter how hard she tried to be happy that Adrien let her stay, Chloe couldn't. She wanted to think that he had agreed because he at least had the slightest care for her, but she knew it was only because of Marinette. It was always about her, and now Chloe was sitting down at the kitchen table, wondering how she could fix her friendship with Adrien.

She knew whatever she did, it had to be related to Marinette, and it had to make Adrien happy. Wanting to look for Marinette with him had been a good start, just not good enough. Chloe looked up. Across from her sat Nathalie, and Nathalie was staring back at her.

"What?"

"Just what do you want?" Nathalie suddenly asked, confusing Chloe. "Why do you keep trying and lying your way out of things?!"

Chloe rolled her eyes and looked away, and Nathalie couldn't help feeling angry at her action. Soon after that, the doorbell rang, and Chloe leaped up, thinking it was Adrien, she rushed towards the door with Nathalie staring at her.

When she opened the door though, it wasn't Adrien, and she was surprised at who it was. Then her surprised look turned into a glare as she folded her arms. "What are you doing here?"

Alya looked back at Chloe with a frown. "That's honestly what I should be asking you. I came over to talk to Adrien."

"Talk to Adrien?" Chloe raised her eyebrows. Seeing Alya here again reminded her of before, when she, Sabrina and Lila would always stop Alya in the hallways, and do whatever they wanted to do with her. After Marinette moved in to that school, everything changed, but Chloe had been happy with the change, because she had been afraid that if Alya left to another city she wouldn't have anyone to gang up on anymore. Marinette showed up and changed that.

"Yes. Talk to Adrien," Alya tried looking past her to see if she could catch anyone, but she didn't. "It's important, or are you just in your stupid protective mode and don't want any girl to see Adrien?"

"You think you can talk back to me?!" Chloe gritted her teeth, but Alya only smirked.

"I mean, you just got kicked out by your own father, it's all over the news, so I can't even call you a Bourgeois anymore, can I? Without your father, Chloe, you're nothing!"

"Alya?"

Alya turned around when the voice called her name. "Adrien?" She smiled when she saw the boy, but Adrien didn't look too happy, though he managed to crack a small smile. "Where were you?"

"Looking for Marinette. Didn't find her though." After saying that, Adrien immediately turned to Chloe. "Why are you blocking the doorway?"

"I was asking about you, Adrien, but Chloe wouldn't let me in," Alya spoke before Chloe could even open her mouth. Adrien sent a glare towards Chloe, and the blonde instantly stepped out of the way while the other two stepped inside.

"After hearing about Marinette disappearing, I decided to come back as soon as possible," Alya explained as she placed her bag on the living room table. "I was hoping. . . You would have already found her-"

"I'm sorry."

"No, it's fine. I mean, it's not, but. . . Just thanks for trying." Alya smiled and Adrien returned it with a bigger one. "Well, you have a partner now. I'm going to help you look for her. Maybe we'll have better luck looking for her together?"

While Alya and Adrien talked, Chloe walked inside the kitchen. Nathalie was still sitting at the table, and she looked up at Chloe.

"I try too hard because if I don't, I'd never get to where I want to be," Chloe said. "And I lie because it makes things easier." And with those words, she left.