Overcome- 08

"Vi! Bring up the lights in the big room." The lights popped on, Jenner turned to look at them. Rick started talking, asking questions with everyone else. Jenner simply said- "I'm all that's left. There's only me." Ford let a slow breath out as he stuck close to Daryl. After a few moments, everyone was sat laughing at a table, smiles on there faces. Though that was quickly defused when Shane asked questions. Ford was sat next to Daryl, looking at Carl across from him as the boy drank a bit of wine, watching in amusement as he cringed, smiling a bit. 

Everyone slowly picked out their rooms, getting told to go easy on the hot water, Ford looked at Carl and dashed toward a room together. "Me first!" Carl yelled, trying to push past Ford who stood in the doorway of a room. "No way in hell Carl! Me first." He said sternly, getting a groan in response. "Noo! Ford!!" Ford dashed into the bathroom and closed the door behind him, the adults laughing at this, watching the two boys bicker about it, though Ford was laughing his ass off in the bathroom as he stripped down and started the water.

Carl groaned and sat on the bed with a scowl, staring at the bathroom door before taking out some clothes for himself and Ford, knowing the boy didn't bring any bags in for some reason. When the water turned off a bit later Ford came out in a towel, holding his dirty clothes and wet hair that dripped, as quickly as Carl was sitting he shot up and made a B-line to the bathroom, closing and locking the door behind him quickly. 

Everyone slowly went to bed, Carl coming out a little while later and going to the couch, being stopped by a gentle hand on his chest, pushing him to the bed. "Take the bed, you need it, I'll take the couch, Carl," Ford said slowly, Carl's lips parted before smiling and getting onto the small cot they had put up, Ford took his spot on the couch, getting comfortable. 

------------

Morning came all too quick for the group, some hungover, some just fine. Ford and Carl were sat at the table already with the majority of the group, Carl smiling and talking to his mom as Ford stayed silent. T-Dog looked at Ford curiously.

"Why are you always quiet kid?" He asked, serving him some eggs, Ford looked up at him and shrugged. "Dunno... Never been a talker..." His older brother came in and Ford stood, going over to help his hungover brother sit down in a seat, Daryl groaned and moaned in agony. "Lori..? Pass me the pill bottle please.." He mumbled the please, she smiled and handed it to him. He fished some out into his palm and handed them to Daryl who took them with a nod and swallowed them. 

"Mm... Sit down and eat 'yer food Ford..." He whispered, getting a nod, Ford plopped down in the seat next to Daryl and started eating. "Ford? You and Daryl don't look too similar actually, you don't share the same parents do you?" Ford didn't miss a heartbeat as he replied to Lori-

"I'm adopted." Getting a whack to the head from his brother, who groaned and rubbed the spot. "No ya' ain't. Just got a differen' mom." Ford rolled his eyes and went quiet again, munching on his eggs before giving a 'thank you' to T-Dog who smiled and nodded. Daryl looked at Lori and huffed. "Mind yer' own business.." He grumbled, eating his eggs. Once everyone was in their seats, Jenner walked in with a cup of coffee in hand, and from there Ford paid little to no attention. 

He could barely hold attention for longer than a few minutes, yet he was never diagnosed with anything, so it didn't worry him all too much, he just dealt with it and pushed through, trying to keep his attention on stuff as long as he could. He followed the group into the big screen room, watching as Jenner spoke to the robotic voice. He stood back and watched as everything else unfolded.

---------------

Just a mere few hours passed, Rick, T, Shane, and Daryl all checking the generators in the basement area, yawning Ford bounced on the bed next to Carl in Carl's parent's room. He rubbed his eyes gently as he took a slow breath of the cool air in the room before the air shut off. Making his eyes snap open instantly, moving slightly to stand up before moving to the door after hearing footsteps in the hall. A commotion started up with everyone firing questions off. Jenner ignored most, grabbing his brother's bottle of booze. Ford followed everyone out of their rooms,  his hearing going deaf as he followed, eyes wandering from everyone's frantic voices to their faces, taking slow breaths.

Everyone filtered back into the big room, "Right on the 30-minute mark." Jenner said before the large metal doors that were behind Ford slammed down shut, his back stiffened as his head shot back, looking at the now-closed doors. His senses heightening as he stared at them in shock, trying to come back into the conversation fully. His mind going blank as he ran toward his brother who was holding an ax, about to hit Jenner with it. His thin arms wrapping around the middle Dixon child and yanking him back harshly. 

"Daryl! Stop it!" He yelled, his normally quiet voice now rigid and harsh, his brother grunted and pushed Ford away before going back to the door, slashing at it with the ax. Ford's eyes went dull as he moved away from Jenner, a glare set on his face. "If I die in here, I will find your spirit and I will fucking torture you for eternity. Keep that in mind." His voice was harsh still as he walked away from the man. 

Jenner sat back down, repeating the same words of- "I can't unlock the top side. Those doors stay closed." He typed away on a keypad, the large metal doors slowly opening, Everyone started running out, Ford staying a second longer to see who was staying, Andrea, Jacqui, Jenner, Dale. His breath left him as he took Dale's hand who was trying to get Andrea up. 

"Dale... If she wants to stay she can... Please... You don't have to stay too... C'mon... We gotta go" He pleaded, voice dropping a bit to be gentle and understanding. "But- But... I..." Dale let a soft cry out before nodding and standing, giving Andrea a soft kiss on the head before he ran out with Ford, leaving two of their group members behind. Dale and Ford came rushing from the building as everyone was about to leave, Rick yelling at them to 'get down' Ford rushed to a barrier and dove for it with Dale. Feeling a mass amount of heat roll over them before vanishing just as quick.

Ford's mouth went dry as he stood, panting quietly as he wobbled and jogged to the RV, tumbling inside and rushing to check over Carl. Dale mutely sat in the driver's seat in sorrow. Carl smiling when he saw Ford alright. Once everyone was situated in their proper cars they started their journey to Fort Bennings.

Word Count- 1228