One Gone, One Down- 010

Everyone was out the next day looking for the two kids, Ford has sat alone at the Greene farmhouse, sitting on the ground outside the house, for well over four hours. Staring at nothing as his mouth dried before Maggie, a young woman in her 20's with short brown hair came out with some water for him, he took it and said a quiet 'thank you ma'am' to her. She nodded a little and walked back inside, talking to her dad. "He's in shock daddy... He won't even talk more than a few words... Starin' at nothin'... Won't even say why he's so quiet daddy.." She whispered. 

Hershal cleared his throat and walked outside, sitting down next to Ford and lookin' at him. "Kid... Can you tell me your name?" Ford looked over at him, setting the cup down softly between his legs. "Ford, like the car company. Ford." He said in a dry voice, getting a nod from Hershal. "Otis didn't see anyone with you when you were out there... You lost?" He nodded before breathing out softly. "Yeah... I'm with a group... But... Otis... You said he didn't see anyone with me? Not even... Not even... One of them things..?" Hershal shook his head. " Nope... All by yourself... Nothing around ya..." Ford slowly nodded and sighed.

"Alright... Alright... I dunno.. I dunno where my group is.. Can't... Can't remember..." Hershal nodded a bit. "Alright, they're probably out lookin' for ya Ford. When they come, you'll be here." Ford nodded a bit and stood, dusting himself off before walking inside with Hershal, sitting at the dining table, saying prayers with the Greene family. Otis walked out of the room with a soft smile toward the family while saying- "I'm going out hunting" Ford and the rest stayed and ate, making light conversation together, though Ford stayed quiet.

When Ford finished he excused himself from the table and went back outside, laying in the grass this time for about two hours, two hours of pure silence, just the light wind blowing through his hair, kissing his face. He sighed softly before he heard yelling "Come on!! Keep up, man!" He slowly sat up, watching the three figures running toward the house before he stood and went inside, getting Maggie. The three figures split up, two staying back, Otis and a man with brown hair, the other carrying a boy in his arms, wearing a sheriff hat. 

Maggie yelled out to Hershal, the older man coming out as well as the rest of the family. "Was he bit?" Ford's breath caught when he saw Rick carrying a bleeding Carl in his arms. Rick shook his head quickly. "No... No shot. Shot by your man." Patricia covered her mouth. "Otis" "Are you Hershal? He needs your help." Rick said desperately, being rushed into the house by the older man, Hershal pulled his sleeves up and ripped the sheets off a bed. Ford rushed into the house after Rick, staying outside the room and pacing. Rick came out a minute later and pulled Ford into a tight hug.

"Sophia..?" Ford shook his head. "She... She ran off... We were together last night... She ran off..." He breathed out, hugging the man back before squirming out of his arms. "What happened to Carl?" "He... He saw deer... Went toward it... Otis..? Otis shot the deer... Bullet went straight through... Daryl's worried to all shit about you." Ford smiled a little, nodding a tiny bit. "He'll manage a bit longer without me. I wanna be here with you... Make sure you're alright..." Rick nodded in thanks before sitting down.

Just a couple hours later Ford was holding his head upstairs in the bedroom, rocking as he heard Carl screaming and crying, memories flashing through his head, mind going blank as he shook. Swallowing thickly as Carl went silent again, he calmed down and stumbled back downstairs for some water, checking into Carl's room on his way by, seeing him shirtless and asleep with a bandage on his side. A smile slipped onto his face as he looked at the boy, slowly walking over and sitting next to him, he took Carl's hand, squeezing softly. "Hey, Carl... I'm right here... I'm sorry..." He whispered, his breathing slowed a bit as he got up, letting go of his hand as Shane and Otis left the house together.

-----------------------

Nighttime fell, Carl got worse by the minute, Lori was not at the Greene house as well, nagging Ford about being careful, who wasn't listening. Ford sighed and looked outside the window, seeing Shane pull up in a car, getting out of the car with medical supplies, he heard Lori and Rick starting to argue as he opened the door for Shane, not seeing Otis he looked at Shane skeptically. Hearing Hershal voice his question and hearing a bullshitted response that Otis covered for him and died. He rolled his eyes and shook his head softly, walking into another room and waited patiently for Hershal to finish the surgery on Carl.

Daytime soon came, Ford sitting on the couch in the living room as he waited, seeing Shane come out of the bathroom with a shaved head he got skeptical quick. Staring at the man before shaking his head, slowly getting up to sit next to a crying Patricia, rubbing her back carefully. Ford let a breath out as he stood, going into Carl's room and sitting in the chair near the bed, letting another breath at he leaned on his legs softly. "I hope you wake up soon... Miss my little buddy..." He whispered, clearing his throat before leaning back in his chair.

A small while later Maggie came in with his breakfast, handing it to him before smiling and leaving, Ford mutely ate his breakfast before getting up when he heard his brother's motorcycle outside. He set everything down and rushed outside, waiting on the steps for his brother to park before running down the stairs and jumping on him. "We got separated... I dunno where she is... I dunno where..." He breathed out, letting a quiet cry out as he hugged his brother, who hugged back tightly. "'Member where you last were?" Ford nodded a bit. 

"Think you can backtrack?" Ford once again nodded, feeling Daryl rub his head gently which calmed him a lot. As everyone stood outside, except Carl, of course, standing around a grave that was dug in memory of Otis, Shane giving his bullshited story. Ford zoned out, looking at the house in worry before walking off once the ceremony was done, his brother following along before splitting off when a group gathered at the hood of the truck. Ford jogged into the house, going to Carl's room and smiling at the, now awake, boy.

"Hey, there sleepy head... How ya doing?" Carl smiled and groaned, wincing softly as he shifted. "Careful cowboy... You're still pretty badly hurt... Need anything..?" Carl nodded a little. "Water..." He whispered in a scratchy voice, Ford quickly walked out and grabbed a bottle before walking back to him and uncapping it, tilting the bottle into his mouth. "Careful there... Small drinks... Don't need ya chokin'."

Carl took a few small drinks before sighing in content. "Okay... Thank you, Ford.." Ford nodded softly, sitting next to him. "I was worried bout you..." Ford whispered quietly, rubbing his hand gently, Carl smiled and nodded. "I was worried about you too, Ford.." He rasped out making Ford chuckle. "We haven't found Sophia yet... They're lookin'... Daryl's goin' out now... To look... Look for her..." Ford mumbled, rubbing his hand before letting go of his hand and standing up when the door opened. Clearing his throat softly as Patricia stared at them. 

"Just checking on the boy... Didn't know he had company, sorry to disturb Ford.." Ford looked off to the side and nodded a little, rubbing his neck lightly as he stood there awkwardly. "I'm gonna head out, set up a tent for when you get better, can't stay with yer' mom and dad forever, right?" Carl smiled and nodded a bit, slowly falling back to sleep.

Ford made his way out of the house, grabbed an extra tent the group had and putting it up near the others, looking around he spotted his brother's tent and walked over to it after putting up his own. He ducked inside and looked around before smiling at the sight of his own crossbow that sat next to a sleeping bag. Letting a breath out be laid down on it and grabbed the crossbow, checking it over for any damage.

Word Count- 1438