Chapter 8 : Life and What Comes Of It

Neo's POV

It's been a few days since Damien was incapacitated. He was transferred to a medical facility not too far away from where the inn was. Sarya told me that the machinery in her hotel room was only temporary. They were machines that she used on herself in order to quickly recover from past wounds. They wouldn't have been able to save his life unless they got proper aid. I never left his side during the entire time he was here.

"Hey..." Sarya said as she slowly made her way into the hospital room and to the chair next to me. I looked at her and she quickly began shaking her head.

"Sorry. I forgot you can't speak. I guess I'm not used to this yet." Sarya said as I nodded my head, letting her know it's okay.

"So...I'm sure all of this is confusing, even after I answered some questions...and I don't blame you for feeling like you're still in the dark about everything. Life for Damien has always went by quick. One minute he's a student, the next he's a member of an underground union. In Haven...he was one of the only huntsmen in the world that could do his job while also not having a full fledged aura. Dozens of trained huntsmen tried unlocking his aura for him, but they could only get a tiny portion of it to come out. The more time that passed, the more angry he got. He no longer wanted to be the guy that everyone worried about. He no longer wanted to be the guy who everyone looked at as the weak link. He didn't have a semblance but he still got to where he was when we graduated just by pure fighting skill alone. He almost got himself killed multiple times trying to take on missions that he wasn't ready for. It got to the point where I couldn't see someone I considered as family get hurt anymore...so I left. Wesker left too along with Hera. Damien...was alone. I don't know what happened fully when it comes to his treatments with the Black Legion...but I did try to keep tabs on him. Hopefully when he wakes up, he can tell you himself." Sarya said as I nodded.

"Are you hungry? I can take you to get a bite to eat for the mean time if you like." Sarya said. As hungry as I am, I can't do it. I don't want to leave him.

"Starving yourself won't help the situation. I'm sure he would want you to take care of yourself in his absence." Sarya said as she stood up and held out her hand. I sighed and grabbed it and she smiled and walked with me to a cafe down the block.

"Order anything you like. I'll pay for it." Sarya said as I started shaking my head. I don't want her to pay for my meal.

"I'm not taking no for an answer here. I have plenty of lien so there's no issue there." Sarya said as I ordered my food and waited for it to arrive at our table. I sat there and looked down at my hands and feet, trying to tune everything else out. I can't tune out my mind however and all I can think about is Damien. I'm pissed off, but I'm also sad. He hasn't awakened from his unconsciousness and it hasn't made me feel any better about everything. After Roman...I really didn't want to lose anyone else...but now...I am truly afraid of losing someone who's done so much for me even though I was a total stranger.

"Listen, I know you can't talk, but you can use this to communicate if you want." Sarya said as she held out a notepad and pencil. I looked at the items in front of me and slowly took them and sat them down in front of me on the table.

"Tell me what's on your mind." Sarya said as I grabbed the pencil. I halfway didn't want to write anything but at the same time, I had more questions.

I'm very worried about Damien. He's done so much for me for what little time we've known each other. He took me in while I was a complete stranger. He fed me, let me stay at his house, and protected me while I regathered my strength. He didn't need to do any of that. I was a nobody. I still am but it's as if that didn't matter to him. He treated me better than mostly anyone I've ever met.