Chapter Two

(IM SOO SORRY ITS NOT VERY GOOD)

Wakatoshi was the first person I could be my true self around. I still remember the day I met him.
    I was about five years old and I remember it was my first day of elementary school and I saw a boy my age with dark-olive hair and matching eyes siting alone at a desk and there was an empty desk right next to it. I decided to sit down next to him. "What's your name" I ask.
"Ushijima Wakatoshi" he states in a monotone voice.
"Oh hi Wakatoshi I'm Hikaru Nakamura" I say. He stares at me blankly so I decide to try and continue the conversation.
"Do you like any sports? My favorite sport is volleyball" I stare smiling.
"Oh", he gives me an actual response, "volleyball is my favorite sport too" he says looking more interested and continues to talk, "my dad was actually a high school volleyball player on Shiratorizawa" he stayed getting into the conversation.
"WOW THAT'S SOO COOL!" I exclaim.
He has a small smile and was about to continue talking before the elementary school teacher came in and introduced herself as Ms. Yamato. "Quiet down class! I am starting today's class so make sure to be pay attention". Everyone in the class goes quiet and I skip Wakatoshi a note that says 'wanna sit together at lunch'. He looked at me and nodded and then proceeded to listen to the teacher's lesson. I was soo excited I had made a friend (at the time I didn't know it but I also made a future boyfriend).
—————————-Time skip—————————
It was lunch time and I went to go sit next to Wakatoshi and continue our earlier conversation. "I still think it's soo cool your dad was a volleyball player in high school! I wish my dad was like that" I say.
"Does your dad not like volleyball?" Wakatoshi asks looking very invested in the conversation.
" Unfortunately no. He thinks volleyball isn't a "manly" sport and tells me I should do baseball or basketball but I don't like those sports. Basketball is too aggressive and people are really scary in basketball. Baseball isn't too fun either it's basically you can't mess up once and you don't get to play" I was about to continue before I realized that I was rambling. I felt the blood rushing to my head and try to get Wakatoshi to y'all more. "So.. um.. w-why do you li-like volleyball?" I ask and stuff a rice ball in my mouth so I don't ramble on again.
"I like volleyball becau-", he was cut off from accidentally shoving his lunch box of the table.
"I GOT IT!" I exclaim, going to get his lunch box. As I was going to get it I accidentally bump into someone. The boy and I both end up falling and I heard something fall. I get up and feel a slight pain in my head. "Ow" I say with a pained expression.
"Watch where your going Strawberry head!" the boy who I accidentally knocked down says.
"Strawberry head? Is that supposed to be an insult?" I ask confused. 'Maybe because of my read hair' I thought. I hear footsteps come near me and see Wakatoshi looking at me concerned.
"Are you okay?" he asks with a hint of care in his voice.
"Yeah I'm fine don't worry Wakatoshi" I say smiling. He returns the smile. I hear the kid who I had accidentally gasp and look down at his shirt. On his (used to be) white shirt was a big red stain.
"YOU MADE ME SPILL MY DRINK YOU IDIOT!" he yells looking infuriated.
"IM SORRY I DIDN'T MEAN TO!" I yell back really scared.
"Calm down he didn't mean" Wakatoshi says trying to calm the situation down.
"My mom's gonna kill me! Your gonna get it strawberry head!" he yells get ready to grab me by the collar.
Wakatoshi steps in between and says, "leave him alone. It was an accident he didn't meant to do it okay".
The boy was about to to shove Wakatoshi before the teacher came in and said "lunch time is over class". (Talk about being saved by your teacher) We all went to put our lunch boxes away and sit at our desks. The teacher starts to hand out a worksheet and when she gets away from Wakatoshi and I, I slip a little note on his desk. He unfolds the note and reads the "thank you" written on the little piece of paper. I look at him and give him a big toothy grin. He returns with a small smile and writes on the note, re-folds the note and gives it back to me. I read the "Any time" written under my writing and couldn't help but feel warm (Oc: my elementary school self couldn't process it but what I felt was love Wakatoshi: your still little even presently Oc:*offended noises*).

After that we were inseparable. We played volleyball and we shared everything together. He told me about his parents divorce, and I told him about my dad's constant push for me to do more "manly" things. I told him about how I never really felt any attraction to girls and he told me he felt the same. He was the one person in this world I felt comfortable being my true self around. He wouldn't yell at me when I rambled too much and even encouraged me to talk more. Those nine years of elementary and middle school were the best times of my life. Especially when we played volleyball on the same court in middle school. It felt amazing beating Aouba Josai together and he in the same team as him. It felt amazing when we practiced volleyball so much we could barely move anymore. He made me very happy but he also made me realize something.

And those realizations led to us facing off in nationals on opposite sides of the court.
(Ooh we got the name in the title).