Chapter 10

I woke up to my sister yelling at me to start getting ready for school. I grumbled but got up and started getting ready. Today would be the start of my second year of karasuno and I was excited to get back to the volleyball club. I put on my uniform and walked downstairs to see my mom wasn't home. "Where's mom?", I asked the rest of my family.

"She's not home. She went to visit her parents so I'll be picking you up today Hikaru", my father said coldly.

I felt my stomach knot and I felt like I wanted to vomit. "O-okay f-father", I said in a shaky voice. "I-I'm gonna have v-volleyball c-club after school s-so I'll c-call you when you n-need to pick me u-up".

"Why do you keep doing that stupid sport?", my father says coldly, "Why can't you be more like your younger brother and do baseball? Or be manlier in anyway?"

I want to cry but I held in the tears taking deep breathes. "I-"

"I don't care. Your a disappointment either way", my father cuts me off. "And since you're mother is not here I can say it to your face".

I feel the tears fall and my sister walks in.

"Hey Hik-", she sees the scene looking confused. I turn and walk to the car letting the tears fall not looking at my brother or sister. My sister drops off my little brother and tries asking about what happen but I don't answer her. When she drops me off at school I walk to a private corner and open my phone.

I press the call button and hear the person pick up. "Hikaru?", Wakatoshi asks confused, "is something the matter?"

"Wakatoshi, j-just talk t-to m-me", I say  desperately letting out sob noises.

"Hikaru", Wakatoshi says softly, "take in deep breathes".

I nod and try calming down. "Th-thanks", I say softly.

"No problem. Now go to school and go to volleyball practice. You will need to be at your best to beat Shiratorizawa~", he says teasingly.

"I'm gonna kick your ass Toshi!", I say feeling better.

I hear Wakatoshi chuckle. "Goodbye strawberry~", he says before hanging up.

I turn off my phone and grumble. "Asshole", I mumble as I make my way to class.

I head to my first period class and the day goes by painfully slow.
(Time skip~)

When the last bell had finally rung I immediately bolted to the gym. I walked in to see Suga, Daichi, Asahi, and Kiyoko. I turned my head and saw two new first years. One had all dark hair and was pretty short while another one was a good night with short blonde hair.

The short boy looked at me all excitingly. "FINALLY ANOTHER SHORT PERSON", he exclaimed.

I heard Suga chuckle and I felt my face heat up. "I-I'm not that short!", I say as my face gets warmer. Suga chuckles harder and I glare at him. "Shut up!", I yell at Suga, who continues chuckling.

The short boy grabs my hands and shakes it.  "I'm Nishinoya Yuu!", he exclaims.

"Hello I'm Hikaru Nakamura", I say. "Do you have a specific position you want to try out for...?"

"I want to be a libero!", he exclaims excitingly.

I look at the kid assessing how he'd be in that position. He had a nice build and it was obvious he had energy. If I could see that he could take a hit then he could definitely be a libero.

"You'll have to work for it~", I say. I turn to the blonde kid. "What's your name?", I ask.

"Ryūnoske Tanaka!", he exclaims.

"Nice to meet you two", I say. I was about to say something else but then the two boys take a look at Kiyoko and immediately start fawning over her. I roll my eyes and start the warm ups before our captains tell us. I finish up quickly and go over to chat with Kiyoko. While I am chatting with her I see Tanaka and Nishinoya glare start me with jealousy. I brush them off not really caring. When everyone has finished their warm ups we start practice. We end up being split into two teams for a practice game. I end up having Nishinoya my team. We start the practice game, my team served first. On the other team Daichi had received it, Suga set it, and Asahi spiked it. Before I knew it Nishinoya had received the ball very well, our setter set it, and I spiker the ball and scored us a point. We all looked at Nishinoya impressed at how well he received the ball.  Nishinoya had a happy grin on his face. 'This kid could totally be our libero', I thought in my head. I smile at him and get back to the game blocking many of Asahi's spikes. The game ended with my team winning. I ran up to Nishinoya and gave him a high-five. "You definitely got what it takes to be a libero!", I exclaim happily.

He gets a really wide smile on his face and ruffle his hair a bit. "Thanks!", he yells happily.

I smile back at him and we both go back to the locker room and get changed. I say my goodbye to all my friends before walking to my Dad's car. I already see a scowl on his face and I take a deep breathe and sit down in the seat next to him. "H-hi Dad", I say nervously.

He just lets out a grunt and starts driving home. When we're halfway home he says "You and Wakatoshi seem to be getting closer and closer", he states coldly. I feel my whole body tense up. My breathe slows down as I feel paralyzed with fear. "That's not something I should be worried about, Right?", he says in a scary tone, as his grip on the steering wheel tightens.

"N-no Dad", I say softly.

"Good", he replies in a stern tone.

The rest of the car ride home was in an uncomfortable silence. When we arrived home, I quickly went inside the house just wanting to be alone. I put my bag down and take in deep breathes trying to calm down. I wanted my mom to be home. I couldn't stand my dad when my mom wasn't around. She could always control him but without her, I was doomed. I couldn't stay here. I couldn't. If I stayed here with him I'd go insane. I quickly grab my phone and call Wakatoshi.

He picks up almost immediately. "Hey Hikaru what's up-", I cut him off.

"Please let me stay over at you place", I say pleadingly. "My dad is home and my mom is not and I can't take it anymore ", my voice cracks a bit.

"Of course you can come over", he says in his usual monotone voice. "My mom isn't home though so it'll just be us", he says.

I feel my heart race and my face heat up again. "G-got I-it", I manage to stutter out. "S-see you soon", I say quickly before hanging up.

I quickly change my clothes and get ready to go. I was by the door before I head my Dad go "where do you think your going?", in a cold tone.

"S-suga needs help studying", I say softly.

"Where are you're books than if your helping him study? And what subject?", he says, looking at me curiously.

I grab a random textbook and see it says "Science" on it. "Science!", I answer. "H-he needs help with science", I say.

"Okay...", he says not really believing me.

I didn't care and immediately started sprinting to Wakatoshi's house. A few tears welled up in my eyes. I knew I was a disappointment, my father reminded me of that. The one thing I knew was that, to Wakatoshi I wasn't a disappointment. I had arrived at his house and walked to the door.

Little did I know this was the night that would change our friendship forever...