16.The River

Amidst the blowing cold winds and chirping birds among the deep pines, the sound of laughter was mixed with the splashing river against the stones, while the afternoon sun shined proud.

"I cannot believe, Man. You do believe in fairy tales. They are so women centric, don't you think!" Avery said as they sat on one of the stones, a few feet away from the running river.

"I think we should go. They'll be looking for us." Steve said avoiding the conversation.

"Oh, don't be a spoil sport. C'mon, seriously why?"

"Well! It's just a treat for the eyes. Good animation, good locations. That's it." Saying that, he stood up and said, "Okay, get up now. We are here for the nature, right!"

"Why?"

"Just get up, you lazy fellow!" he said as he took off his shoes, kept his belongings and started walking towards the river.

She followed him till the water touched their feet. "um, well, I think I have to tell you something here."

"What?"

"I cannot swim" she said as they both folded their jeans.

He smiled as he moved forward into the river until the water was knee deep and splashed some water on her face. "Don't worry I'm not gonna drown you!"

"You are in deep shit!" she said as she took some steps towards him minding the water level and started splashing back.

"Oh! For doing that, you actually have to come into water. You are barely reaching me, tiny girl!"

"I am not going to fall in your words! It's knee deep even for you"

"C'mon, It feels great. I thought you wanna feel the nature."

"Fine!" and she moved forward gripping her feet on every step she takes until the water was knee deep for her. She was still two feet away from him when she stopped, "I think I'm gonna be here. The water's too cold and fast."

"Oh god!" he whispered as he moved a step forward, took her hand and pulled her deeper into the river where he was standing.

"Wow! It's slippery in here."

"It is freshwater algae. You only find it in streams not in stagnant water. And also have you noticed you are drowning!"

Her mind was speechless on that sarcasm so she just smiles and rather concentrates on the flowing water hitting her, barely reaching her waist when she notices he's still holding her hand.

"You can leave my hand now. I'm good I think."

"Okays" he said as he left her hand, took a handful of water and poured over her head.

"You are so gone now!" And they started fighting until both of them were drenching wet.

In middle of the chaos, she tried pushing him down completely underwater but thanks to her timidity, she slipped instead, moving a bit with the flow and gulping some water in a small window of time before he got her arm pulled her towards him and grabbed her waist as she grabbed tight on his t shirt with one hand while her other arm, the one he wasn't holding, crossed over his neck through his shoulder putting her entire weight on him as her feet were unable to find the ground.

"I got you. I got you. Calm down." He whispered clearing her face off her wet hairs as she started catching her breath.

She stayed cling to him breathing heavily losing track of everything around her.

After a while, feeling her breathing normalize over his chest he caressed the back of her head lying on his shoulder and asked, "Are you alright now?"

On getting no reply to that he again said, "Avery!"

On that the grip on his t shirt loosens and she realized how close they were in that moment, that has lasted for quite a while now.

She got away from him and looked in his guilt filled eyes as she waited for him to leave her.

"I am fine Steve." On that he lost his grip over her, still holding her arm as she landed on her feet.

"It's okay." she said looking at the arm he was holding.

"Let's get out of this first." He said refusing to let go of her.

He stayed behind making sure she gets out safely as they both walked towards their belongings dripping water from their clothes.

As soon as they reached there, she quickly took her jacket and put it on, trying to hide her on show nipples from the cold water, before he notices. The day was already enough embarrassing for her.

"Hey! What are you doing. It's gonna get wet." He said noticing her, still facing her back.

"That's ok! I am cold." She answered turning towards him.

"Hmm" and there was quite as they dried themselves with their respective towels.

"So, what's next on your list?" she asked to kill the silence, still drying her hairs.

"Nothing. We'll stick with the itinerary from now. This was all my fault. I'm sorry, Avery!" His voice filled with guilt and his eyes lowered down.

"Oh no, Steve. Stop being an old lady. We are on an adventure camp and this was the most adventurous thing I have ever done. No regrets at all."

"Hey, look at me." She continued on his no response.

"We should probably go. They might be looking for us." He said picking up his things.

"Hey!" she took his forearm making him stand facing her with his eyes still looking side ways.

"It's not your fault, Steve. You didn't drown me! You saved me. If it wasn't for you I might have reached the ocean by now!" she tried to make things lighter but all she got was a sigh and some stretched neck muscles.

"Okay, may be this will work." She whispered and continued, "Um, look. I am nobody and I am not an expert, also you don't have to tell me why, but a guy who believes in fairytales is not only because it's eye soothing!" the thought hovering over her head from the beginning came out like that.

But on that, he finally moved his head towards her to reply, but as he met her eyes, genuine and transparent as if she understands, he lost all his words and they stayed still as their eyes meet, having nothing to be spoke of.

Nobody knew how long that moment lasted until, "Oh! There you are. We have been looking for both of you." Joseph, one of the track instructor came looking for them, bringing them back to reality.

They fidgeted as they gathered their things and went with the instructor without uttering a word.