18.Run

She ran as fast as she could, still not knowing the direction of the camp until she heard her name echoing through the forest.

She paced in that direction. It was Steve.

“Oh here you are!” he exclaimed with relief.

“Shh..” she shushed him in fear of them hearing.

“Where have you been for so long. We_"

“Do you know the way out?” she asked without letting him finish, her breath pacing.

“Yes. Sort of. Just follow the white arrow marks I made on tree trunks.”

She looked around and found a mark behind him, “Okay then run.” She took his hand and started running.

“Why are we running suddenly!”

“Just shut up. They could even hear whispers.”

And nobody spoke until they reached inside their tent. She didn’t even waited at the camp area.

They both stood there for sometime catching their breath.

“Can I speak now!” Steve exclaimed still gasping.

She just smiled and gave him a thumbs up.
“What was that?” he asked.

She gestured him to wait for a min as she catches her breath. On that he went outside to get some air and called Adam and Joseph on the radio who were still searching for her.

“Don’t come in here, Steve.” Avery said from the tent.

“Yes!” but that was for the one on the call.

He stayed outside until both of them came.
“Is she fine?” Adam asked.

“I am going to sue her!” Joseph blurted walking towards her tent.

“Hey hey!” Steve said stopping him, “Can we delay this till morning please. I don’t think she is in good shape right now. Something happened in that forest. She was running away when I found her.”

“Obviously, something happened. That’s why we ask you not to go there!” Joseph said sarcastically, again trying to walk to her.

“Hey, Joseph please. Let me talk to her first.” Steve pleaded.

“I think he’s right. Even you are in a bad mind right now. Anyways it’s too late. Let’s take some rest.” Adam indulged.

“Fine! But only because you said so.” Joseph told Adam as they walked away.

Steve returned to the tent but as he lifted the curtain door, he saw Avery slipping down her t shirt from her shoulder facing her back, her beige bra on the show was a bit darker than her milky white skin, “Oh I am sorry!” he gasped, left the curtain and went outside again.

“It’s okay. Come in. I am almost done.” Avery called from inside.

“Almost!” he asked frantically.

“I am done, Steve, I am done.” On that he entered the tent. She was arranging her sleeping bag. “Don’t worry, you’re safe with me.” She joked on his awkward silence.

“I am sorry. I..didn’t..mean” he was too nervous for a guy.

“Why are you sorry? You didn’t like what you saw!”

That left him wide eyed, “what!!” just elapsed from his mouth.

“I might not be as long as those pretty girls, honestly few inches below 5. But whatever I have it’s good. I know that. And anyways you were facing my back. You hardly saw anything.”

“Okay!” he was taken away from that coming from her. He didn’t imagined her that way.

“Also don’t consider this flirting please. I don’t think I would do that with you ever.”

“Would you mind me asking why?” He asked as they settled in their sleeping bags.

“You are not my type actually.”

“Okays, but you even don’t know me.”

“May be. But I am more casual. And you are too deep. Like there’s something inside you that just wants to come out and you are suppressing it bad.”

“That is bullshit.” He grins in a deep husky voice.

“No it’s not. And that is the sound you make when you do it.”

“Okay fine. Enough about me now. Why are you so chatty today?” he asked normally, trying for the forest thing to come up, but not be obvious.

“Cause I had the most adventurous day of my life. I almost died twice. Huh.” She was cheerful.

“Twice! Why!” he was really confused now, first would be the river incident but what else.

“You’re too good Steve. I wish I would’ve met you in different circumstances. I am really tired now. If you don’t mind.” She said in a loathing voice.

“Yeah sure. You don’t have to ask me.” He replied but she was already asleep.