01

CHAPTER ONE
THE SAM ULEY CLUB

CHAPTER ONE THE SAM ULEY CLUB

"Punch me in the face."

Montana's eyebrows arched in response to Embry's request, her eyes drifting across the table to where her two equally amused best friends sat, fists pressed against their mouths to stifle their laughter – they were doing a terrible job of it, but fortunately Embry was too busy staring at Maddy Moreno to notice.

"You want us to punch you in the face?" Jacob asked mischievously.

Montana knew full well why Embry seemed to be on the brink of a breakdown. His longing gaze had been locked on Maddy, his longtime crush of around seven years now, for almost the entire duration of lunch. But as soon as she had left the comfort of her girl friends, and instead sat on a table with Jared Cameron and Paul Lahote, Embry's entire demeanour changed.

Jared Cameron was, in Montana's eyes, a massive douchebag. He had been her cousin Dakota's best friend since childhood, up until a months ago, when he stopped hanging out with her completely out of the blue. Montana never understood it, and she wasn't sure if she ever would. She'd grown up with Jared too, and he'd cared about both them, but now it was as if they didn't exist in his world anymore. Dakota had been heartbroken when she confronted him and he told her they could no longer be friends.

The boys massively disliked him for what he had done to Montana and Dakota, though a lot of their hatred stemmed from his affiliation with, what they liked to call "The Sam Uley Steroid Club."

However, Embry's ice cold stare was not directed Jared's way, for once, but instead at his best friend Paul Lahote, who currently had his arm draped around Maddy's shoulder.

Quil cast a glance over at them, nose scrunching in disgust, and the lines on his forehead crinkling. "Are you sure you'd rather we didn't punch them instead?"

"Punch me in the fucking face," Embry repeated. "It would hurt much less than this."

From across the table, Montana met Jacob's eyes, tilting her head to the side in consideration. Jacob shrugged nonchalantly, suggesting to her to go for it. "All right then," Montana said, brushing the cheeto crumbs from her hands.

Embry practically jumped out of his skin the moment he spotted Montana's fist in his peripheral vision, almost throwing himself off the table to avoid her hand connecting with his face. "What the actual fuck are you doing?!"

"Uh, dude, you said punch me in the face–"

"Not you!" Embry exclaimed, scooting to the other end of the bench to put as much distance between them as possible.

"Oh, ok, so you'd rather I punch you in the face instead?" Jacob asked him, his lips twitching into a grin.

"I didn't even mean it literally," Embry groaned, his head dropping onto the table with a light thud. "Ow."