21

CHAPTER TWENTY ONE
GRIEVING

When Montana and Paul pulled up outside the Clearwater's, the front drive was already blocked by multiple different vehicles

When Montana and Paul pulled up outside the Clearwater's, the front drive was already blocked by multiple different vehicles. Montana immediately recognised her parents silver Renault amongst them.

During the journey, Paul had gotten a call from Sam to let him know that Harry didn't make it. Montana tried her best to keep her emotions reigned in, mostly for the sake of Paul, who was possibly the most useless person to comfort anyone, but she also knew she needed to be strong for Leah and Seth.

Paul turned the keys in the ignition, shutting off the engine. He turned his head to look over at Montana, who was staring vacantly out of the window, her tear stained face completely drained of colour.

"You ready to go inside?"

Her stomach twisted into knots at the thought, grief already forming a lump in her throat. She managed a small nod in response, unclipping her seatbelt.

They climbed down from the trunk in silence, approaching the house with cautious steps. Montana could hear nothing but the sound of her own heart thudding. The uneasy quietness, from a house usually bursting with energy, put them both on edge.

Paul hesitated as they reached the door, his hand tightening around the handle. A brief look was shared between them before he opened it and they stepped inside.

The heavy atmosphere felt suffocating to Montana the very moment she set foot into the lounge. Pain stricken faces were what she was met with, and the ache in her chest only deepened by the grief pouring from every soul in the room.

Leah stood by the window, expression stoic as her distant eyes stared outside. A lone tear travelled down her cheek, but she didn't bother to wipe it away. On the arm of the couch, Dakota watched Leah with tearful eyes, her knee bouncing up and down absentmindedly with worry for her friend.

Nita's arms were wrapped securely around Seth, whose entire body trembled uncontrollably as he sobbed into her shoulder. Tye stood beside Billy Black, a hand placed on the man's shoulder, both of them struggling to watch the two broken-hearted children of Harry Clearwater.

Jared and Embry's heads snapped up as Montana and Paul entered the room, the new presence capturing the attention of almost everyone. Dakota got to her feet in an instant, crossing the room in a hurry to fling her arms around her cousin. Montana struggled to hold back tears, her arms tightening around her. Dakota buried her head against her shoulder, soft cries muffled as she pressed her face against Montana's sweater. Tye placed his hands on either shoulder of his two girls, letting them quietly know that he was there for them.

When Dakota finally stepped back, Montana's eyes landed back on the distraught Clearwater siblings, and any of the comforting words she thought she had, disappeared into thin air.