02

CHAPTER TWO
LOVER BOY

Later that evening, Montana was almost finished with her shift at the diner

Diane had been talking her ear off for hours about the latest gossip from Forks High School. Other than Diane, the only actual other friend that Montana had in Forks was Bella Swan, so, in all fairness, her news sources were limited. Whilst Montana adored Diane, the girl did not stop talking. After working with her for a long time, Montana had learned how to half-listen, without hurting the blonde's feelings.

Diane sucked in a deep breath. "Anyway, so Allie told me, that Lily told her, that Lisa overheard from Becky, who was apparently told by Jessica, that the Cullen's have skipped town."

Montana glanced up from the table she was cleaning, her full attention now on Diane. "Wait a minute, they left?"

Diane nodded her head, continuing to stack dirty plates. "Yeah. Bella never showed at school today either. Poor girl must be heartbroken."

Montana released a heavy sigh, already feeling bad for the Swan girl. She knew how much Bella was into Edward, and it had seemed like he really cared for her too.

It would explain why Charlie Swan hadn't come in for his dinner, like he usually did on a Wednesday evening. Bella must be devastated. She wondered whether she should send the girl a text, but decided against it for the time being. Montana presumed Dakota would have talked to Bella by now anyway, since they were much closer friends. In fact, it might have been where Dakota had gone this afternoon.

"I can't believe they just packed up and left," Montana said, shaking her head in disbelief. Everybody knew the Cullen family were a bit weird, but they had important ties to Forks.

"I know," Diane agreed. "It was so sudden."

Outside, a familiar Volkswagen Rabbit pulled into the parking lot, immediately catching Montana's eyes through the large window. A small smile ghosted over her lips, and Diane couldn't help but smirk slightly at the look on her face, one she recognised every single time Jacob Black pulled up to pick her up on a Wednesday evening.

"Is that lover boy?" Diane teased in a sing-song voice. Montana turned to face her with a glare. "What? Oh, come on, what guy goes out of his way to pick a friend up from work, every week without fail, if he doesn't have feelings for them?"

"Jake and I have been friends for a long time," Montana pointed out, sparing a brief glance out the window. "He's just a nice guy."

"Yeah, yeah, whatever," Diane waved off the excuse, the same one Montana gave every time Diane asked about Jacob. "Go to your man then. I'll finish up, you clocked in before I did."

"Oh my god, he's not my man," Montana groaned, launching the wet cloth she had been cleaning tables with at Diane.

The blonde girl chuckled, managing to catch the cloth by her chest before it could smack her in the face, like Montana had intended. "Yeah, well, tell the blush on your face that."